Help me come up with a recipe

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
I'd like to create a recipe. It's cold and dreary here (as it usually is at this time of year) and I was thinking some sort of chowder. I don't have a good supply of seafood (a shame since I live less than 70 miles from the ocean) so seafood is out. I was thinking more along the lines of...bacon, potato, and maybe cabbage? Tentatively, here's my idea...feel free to add any comments/etc. or suggestions for spices.

--Lardons of maple cured bacon
--Onion, diced
--Potatoes
--Cream
--Some sort of Stock?
--Thyme, bay leaf, celery????
--White Wine????

I was thinking of rendering the fat from the lardons, removing them, and frying the onion in the fat. Then, I thought maybe add the stock and the potatoes and cook. After the potatoes are tender, add the cream as some point to make it "chowdery". Then, of course, add back the lardons of bacon.
Something like that, anyway. Suggestions? It's obviously a rough draft, I'd love to get any other ideas.

Mushrooms, celery, garlic, a good sharp cheese, freshly cracked black pepper. If you want protien perhaps you might consider adding smoked chicken at the end.

Flour (for a roux) is typical for chowders and is worth considering as it allows you to make a thick (or thickish) chowder without having to boil the potatoes to death and/or use lots of cream.

Though I don't use wine in clam chowder, I do use it in corn and cheddar chowder, in shrimp, crab or lobster chowder and bisques, and a few others. I'd consider an unoaked sauv blanc or 'chablis' for your chowder.

Yes to the bay and thyme. Celery optional. I like it. Consider a little garlic.

Butter is required, imo.
icon_smile.gif
You can replace some of the fat from the rendered bacon with butter for sauteing the onion.*

Potatoes for chowder are often cooked separately. I do that, or not, depending on what kind of chowder I'm making. One approach I often take is to boil the peeled diced potatoes (figure 2 med potatoes per 2.5 c liquid) in lightly salted water till barely tender. Then I remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and reserve, and mix some potato cooking water into chicken stock to make up the liquid for the soup. This mix goes into the pot the potatoes cooked in--after dumping remaining water--and is gently heated (for easier/better combination with the roux). Meanwhile I do the sauteing in another pot--the soup pot.

So-- A flow might be: Cook your lardons in the soup pot while the diced potatoes are cooking in their pot. (Remove the potatoes when barely tender, reserve, and mix some stock with some potato cooking water together, returning the liquid mix to the empty potato pot; keep warm.

Remove the lardons when ready toa paper towel to drain, and remove some of the fat (if copius) or replace some fat with unsalted butter*. Saute finely chopped onion (with or without a few T of very finely chopped celery),plus some thyme and a half a bay leaf, till the onion is lightly colored in spots. Add a littlemincedor pressed garlic and cook till the garlic is very fragrant, about 45 secs. Deglaze with a little white wine and allow the wine to reduce to almost nothing. Add 3-4 T flour (per 2.5 c liquid) to the pot and whisk well with a flat whisk, cooking the flour for a couple minutes. Ladle in some of the stock mix, whisking constantly; repeat till all is incorporated, then add a little milk and the potatoes. Cook, uncovered, about 20 min. Remove the bay leaf. Mash or puree a little of the soup, if desired, for additinal thickening and to spread flavors better. (I'd suggest pureeing some, and adding some of the lardons to the puree so the bacon flavor permeates better.)

[Alternatively, render and saute as noted above. Make the roux. Use chicken or veg stock, warmed, and add and whisk as noted. Then add uncooked diced potato to the potalong with the milk and cook the soup till the potatoes are tender.]

Stir in some heavy cream for richness and adjust salt. Season with white pepper and serve, sprinkled with minced fresh parsley or chives, if desired.**

* or you can wait, cook as planned, then serve with a patof unsalted butter on top of the soup.

** you could saute a peeled finely diced Delicious applein butter till caramelized then reserve. For service, top the soup with the parsley and/or chives then add a tablespoon pile of the caramelized apple to the center of the bowl.

Just a few thoughts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimH:
Mushrooms... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>A good idea. Phil, got a package of mixed dried wild mushrooms that TJ's sells around? Reconstitute, chop, then add to the onions along with the garlic, just before deglazing...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Flour (for a roux) is typical for chowders and is worth considering as it allows you to make a thick (or thickish) chowder without having to boil the potatoes to death and/or use lots of cream. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't think of a roux, I will definately add it. I always thought that, like you refered to later, much of the "thickness" of chowder came from pureeing some of the soup and adding it back...with an immersion blender (which I lack) or in a blender.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Potatoes for chowder are often cooked separately. I do that, or not, depending on what kind of chowder I'm making. One approach I often take is to boil the peeled diced potatoes (figure 2 med potatoes per 2.5 c liquid) in lightly salted water till barely tender. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent...2 med potatoes per 2.5 c liquid. I was wondering how many to add etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">chicken stock to make up the liquid for the soup </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the reasons I wrote "some sort of stock" was that I wasn't sure whether to use chicken or not. I thought it might make it a bit...chickeny...which I wasn't looking for in the recipe. What if I made a 1/2 chicken and 1/2 veal stock? Then maybe neither would dominate?

Excellent suggestions about the mushrooms. I don't have the TJs ones, but I do have a bunch of dried shiitakes. Acceptable sub?

The only thing is that i'm going to have to wait for my belly to fully cure before I make the chowder. 3 more days...3 more days...damn I hate how long it takes to cure. I want my bacon now.
icon_wink.gif

I know that feeling.

If the stock is your own and, thus, probably rich, yes, you'll want to cut its intesity. (One of the reasons I do the potato water-stock mix.) Veal stock would be a good addition. Mix them then taste; cut with plain or potato water if necessary.

Chowders are not typically partially pureed though I use the technique for them (and many other things). A handblender is my most often used small appliance (get one!). I also use a tamis or sieve if textural considerations point their way but my handblender is the go-to. Puree just a small portion and remove it from the pot before doing so. (Again, I'd puree a little bacon in it.) You want distinctive diced potatoes, onion, lardons, etc. Pureeeing in pot, or pureeing too much of the soup, can leave you more with a 'cream of --' soup than a chowder. If more thickening is desired allow to reduce further and/or add some beurre manié.

Shiitakes alone would work but I'd use less; frankly, just a couple T at most of slivered reconstituted caps (stems discarded) as I'm thinking more might be too much for the delicate flavors within the bacon. You could add a handful of fresh white mushrooms, thinly sliced (or finely chopped) along with the onions to saute.

Phil,

You may not have this ingredient handy, but I frequently add the rind from my pamrmesan cheese. I keep my old rinds in the freezer and add them to soups and chowders for flavoring. Remember to remove and discard before serving.

Ray

Back