"classic" extinct? Pricing on new 18"

Robert Terry

TVWBB Fan
It seems everyone is out of the 2820 or classic WSM. From current pricing at places like Ron's, I can only hope Amazon lowers their price on the 18" after the holidays.

I've been saving a couple years for the 18" and was set to pull the trigger when I noticed Amazon quit advertising the 18" for $200 shipped. I do like the changes in the new model but can't see paying $299. I hope to get it for $250 shipped through Amazon, and support the site.

I was hoping by now to be able to get a "new" old WSM at a cheap price, but looking on Amazon they appear to have gone up in price. I'll use my Performer for any extra smoking duties until I find an old WSM used.

Originally posted by Robert Terry:
It seems everyone is out of the 2820 or classic WSM. From current pricing at places like Ron's, I can only hope Amazon lowers their price on the 18" after the holidays.

I've been saving a couple years for the 18" and was set to pull the trigger when I noticed Amazon quit advertising the 18" for $200 shipped. I do like the changes in the new model but can't see paying $299. I hope to get it for $250 shipped through Amazon, and support the site.
Robert, Here's a member getting rid of one. Link to thread for you.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely be checking the second hand market. At $150 plus shipping, that puts it near the cost a month ago of a new one shipped.

You snooze you lose. I was just in the market at the wrong time. Literally a matter of weeks. After emailing Weber, it is apparent that there is no stock of the 2820 sitting around. I doubt Amazon will ever again offer the 2820, only the new model. I trust that after the hoopla wears off that the Amazon price will hit the $275 level and eventually hit $250 if I'm lucky. It will be a waiting game.

I was prepared to spend $200 for the WSM, and I definitely think the thermo, extra capacity water pan, heavy duty legs and heat shield, and improved door handle are worth $50. Not to mention the much improved packaging. I'll just need to play the waiting game.

It's like the Harley Davidson Road King I want, some things you just don't want to acquire used...

Take it from an ex employee of weber... Weber may not have any in stock but at this time of year many dealers are sitting on grills from last "season". They may not have them displayed because of their holiday items but I would think you should be able to find one local. Try calling your local ace hardwares and true values. Oooor use the grill locator on Weber's website.

I will check local Ace Hardware dealers. I got a great deal on the "extinct" weber smokey joe platinum last season. Last one. I have not seen WSM's locally at anything near the $199 Amazon sold them for.

Originally posted by Robert Terry:
I will check local Ace Hardware dealers. I got a great deal on the "extinct" weber smokey joe platinum last season. Last one. I have not seen WSM's locally at anything near the $199 Amazon sold them for.
I've had better luck finding the WSM at True-Value Hardware Stores. YMMV.
icon_wink.gif

Back