TDTS Chicken

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
If this is your recipe, let me know. If not, I'm calling it "Charles's 'Too Drunk To See' Chicken."

I hesitated a bit before deciding to post, because some of us are way into 'preparation' of the main course. I'm way into 'eating' of the main course, and this is quick, and has always turned out right for me, even when I'm "Too Drunk To See", hence the name. ;-)

I raid the freezer for some chicken pieces, doesn't matter what piece. Toss 'em in the microwave and defrost while I'm building an indirect fire on the grill.

If I have time or feel like it, I will separate the skin from the chicken pieces. If not, I will score the skin to let the fat drip out.

Shake on some McCormick's Roasted Garlic Chicken Seasoning.

Cook till done over indirect heat.
Apply sauce of choice to skin, toast skin side down directly over coals for just a minute or so, don't burn!

That's it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> because some of us are way into 'preparation' of the main course </div></BLOCKQUOTE> And that would be me I guess. But you shouldn't hesitate to post(!), what's the point of that? It's all about sharing your ideas, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And that would be me I guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO, no! I had no one in mind. Just wanted to make the point that there was little or no prep involved here.
Much respect, Kev, much respect. :)

I didn't mean that you had me in mind, just that the phrase 'way into 'preparation'' describes me; no secret there.
icon_smile.gif
My point was that (irrespective of the descriptors to which we can attach!) you shouldn't hesitate to post.

I'm wondering: Are you using IQF chicken that comes in bags or are you buying packs of fresh pieces and re-wrapping them yourself for freezing? Or just freezing directly? My nuker doesn't cut it on the defrost front. Unless each piece is wrapped separately and defrosted alone I can forget using the nuker to defrost chicken.

Hey Charles,

Nice hearing from you and by all means, ALWAYS post your ideas. We all learn from each other here.

AS for the preparation, sometimes I like "quick and easy" but when I have a long prep, I view that as a kind of meditation and usually have a glass of wine and "chill" while doing the prep - makes me look forward to the prep.

How's your new Mac doing? Pleased with it?

As info, today I am doing a turkey breast on new EZQue 8 incher. It is brining now.

Have a good weekend,

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm wondering </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kev: We get individual pieces, re-wrap them, then freeze. I run a little (cold) water over them and pull off the plastic wrap, then pop them in the microwave. Ours has a feature called "Inverter Turbo Defrost". You tell it how much the meat weighs, and it calculates the amount of time and % power.

Ray: I typically have about 4 hours from the time I get home on a work day (we're pulling 60 hrs/wk, and probably soon to go to 66) till bedtime, so there is no such thing as a long prep around here!

I've got a 6# butt that needs to be rubbed, and spend the night in the fridge, but it isn't thawed yet, so we will wing it, and possbily rub just before throwing it on the WSM tomorrow night. Will also smoke a small chub of B-O-L-O-G-N-A!

Mom will eat supper with us Sunday, and we plan to have pulled pork, TDTS Chicken and store-bought sides.

I'm pleased with the new Mac, just haven't had the time to get as deep into OS X as I would like. I did a clean install of Tiger, the lates t version of OS X late last week. Very nice, but, like anything else, there are a few bugs. Nothing that is bothering me, though.

I now have lights and bamboo curtains on the deck in back, so it is now much more pleasurable to cook/sit/fool around with mama out there.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Charles,

Your recipe sounds a lot like some 2am "get home from the bars" cooks i've done...
icon_biggrin.gif

Incidentally, I have recently begun taking the skin off all the chicken I grill. I'm not health conscious, I just don't really like skin that much. And what was the point of putting rub on a part of the chicken I wasn't going to eat? So, I just remove the skin and rub the meat itself and grill (TDTS or not). I've never had dry chicken this way...despite conventional wisdom that chicken skin and fat keeps the meat moist.

Back