Smoking a turkey that has the 8% solution blah blah blah

Steve P

We are going to my wife's cousins house for Thanksgiving so I wasn't planning on cooking. My parents are visiting and my mother started complaining that I should have made a turkey anyway so we could make turkey sandwiches, etc. (the after feast). SO.... I went and bought a turkey from Sams Club last night. I've noticed all of the recipes on here say not to use the self-basting turkey. Does anyone have a proven recipe / technique for a self-basting turkey? Thanks

Welcome Steve,

I've cooked self-basting and simply fresh (nothing added)birds on the WSM, and they both come out great. If you've got a self-basing bird, I don't see any reason to brine it; that's already been done.

Here's a link for cooking a self-basting turkey.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
Welcome Steve,

I've cooked self-basting and simply fresh (nothing added)birds on the WSM, and they both come out great. If you've got a self-basing bird, I don't see any reason to brine it; that's already been done.

Here's a link for cooking a self-basting turkey.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto to what Paul said.

Since it has basicly been brined. What if you wanted to make the apple brine for it to add additional flavor. Should you just not add the salt?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Jeremy Smith:
Since it has basicly been brined. What if you wanted to make the apple brine for it to add additional flavor. Should you just not add the salt? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The idea is that the flavors "piggy-back" the salt in the brine process through osmosis. Skip the salt and you're not brining. In other words, marination with AJ and such minus the salt will be a waste of AJ.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats what I thought I had read. So maybe injection?

I've used the apple brine recipe on self-basted turkeys several times with great results. Not too salty at all and you get that apple flavor throughout the bird. Just make sure you rinse the bird well before you cook. As a matter of fact, I'm putting a self-basting bird in the apple brine today. It's hard to find all natural birds in my area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike_G:
I've used the apple brine recipe on self-basted turkeys several times with great results. Not too salty at all and you get that apple flavor throughout the bird. Just make sure you rinse the bird well before you cook. As a matter of fact, I'm putting a self-basting bird in the apple brine today. It's hard to find all natural birds in my area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Since it has basicly been brined. What if you wanted to make the apple brine for it to add additional flavor. Should you just not add the salt? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

I'm no expert, but I think there can be a safety issue with letting the thawed turkey sit in water without salt for long periods of time. The salt is supposed to inhibit the growth of microbials. That's one reason why you're supposed to use at least a 5% salt solution.

I was just coming over to ask about this -- the missus bought a couple of turkeys when they were cheap, and they're the self-basted kind. I guess I should be grateful, I've been busy at work and I'd already be behind schedule for a full brine/air-dry! So I'm going to try the self-basted recipe (and I don't need much of an excuse to toss a bunch of Tony Chachere's Creole on something), but also butterfly the bird to cut down cooking time a little bit, since we want to have it at lunch.

The other turkey, we're doing in the oven right now. She applied a paste of fresh rosemary and other herbs, and it smells amazing.

I did my first turkey this weekend as practice for Thanksgiving. It was a 14lb with an 8% solution. Because I was going to work on trying to get my WSM to a 325-350 temp and meat tenderness, I didnt try brining. I used a salt, pepper, olive oil and butter mixture on the skin. Orange peels, thyme and rosemary in the cavity and thats it. The turkey came out great! Other than myself, my family isnt to much into salty meat. The 8% seemed to give it just enough salt to give it flavor but not to overpower the meat.

Back