BB-Q Capital Cookoff Lexington NC. April 22-23

Tim (the grillaholic)

TVWBB Super Fan
Just wondering if any of the Carolina Boys were planning to attend the competition. The dates are April 22-23. I would like to visit the comp. as it's close to the house, and I have never been to a a comp before.

ApexBBQ will be cooking,that said, we will be incognito,(no signage) but our spot will be easy to find. check the map once you get there...anytime between 3:30a and 7am and then after 1:30p is cool.

Chuck and Chris, I walked through the comp this afternoon, and I gotta say, it really wasn't what I was expecting. I know you can''t predict the weather, so the little muddy conditions didn't really bother me (or my 7 & 10 yr old sons). What did catch me by surprise was;
A)The area/parking lot the teams were set up in and
B) How cramped the teams seemed to be.
I looked for several of the things listed in other posts (that teams liked to have at comps) and noticed there appeared to be power, running water hook ups and plenty of porta-jons. This was the 1st comp I have ever seen, so I probably had a far grander image in my mind then was possible. Was this a standard set up for comps? Also, wondering how you guys did, and who walked away with some of the hardware.
What did impress me was the openess of several of the competitors to talk about their setups. The boys were amazed by the size of the 22.5, having only seen my 18.5. I tried to take pics of all the teams cooking with a WSM, and had several helpful talks with the competitors using them.
Anyway, I have rambled long enough, I hope you both did well,
Happy Easter,
Tim

Sorry I missed meeting you Tim. I was setup in a parking lot away from most of the teams. What you saw was pretty std... but maybe a little more cramped in the main area.

I don't know where they will have it next year if they grow it any...

Chris, Congrats on te great showing at the Lexington comp! As we were walking through, we walked the main circle/ring of competitors. as we were leaving, my sons and I walked up the road (the one the Johnsonville grill was on) and into a paved parking lot. There were 2 groups that were set up in this lot. Were you one of the two in the paved lot? Just curious.
Again, congrats on the fine showing.
Tim

Yeah, I was under the 'carport' in the back corner of the lot. Red pickup and trailer mounted cookers.

Being where I was I didn't even bother putting up my banners.

Back