Homemade syrup

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.D.Letson

TVWBB Fan
I am a big syrup fan (Table, pancake, maple, molasses, anything
icon_smile.gif
) and I was wondering if anyone had any recipes for homemade syrups. Thanks.

Adam

Generally, you need only reduce juice to make a syrup. Molasses is different from a syrup but you can make caramel or caramel syrup. Maple syrup requires trees of course. But you can make your own pomegranate syrup (known as pomegranate molasses), pineapple syrup, citrus, berry, apple, etc.

Here are the variables to consider: If you buy straight juice--say pomegranate, apple, pineapple, e.g.--you need only reduce it. Reduce slowly with a very tiny pinch of salt--quite slowly to preserve flavor. Save a little plain juice (before reduction) and fridge it. Bring to a bare simmer and allow the juice to reduce till thick and syrupy; cool, chill, then stir in the reserved juice a little at a time to brighten the flavor. Note that this method will give you a 'molasses' quality--pourable perhaps, but not always exactly smooth, depending on the juice used. If you wish a smoother syrup then make a simple syrup out of 1 part sugar simmered in 1 part water till smooth and the sugar completely dissolved then warm the molasses you made, stir in a little simple syrup at a time till the molasses is smooth and to you liking.

For citrus syrups: Wash the fruits then slice them thinly crosswise. Place in a large pot, add a pinch of salt and a good quantity of sugar--about 1.5 c per 8 lemons or limes, 4 grapefruits, 6 oranges; toss well. Mash with a potato masher till very juicy and the sugar dissolved. Pour through a strainer, pressing on the solids to extract juice, and heat the resulting liquid and reduce, stirring, till the consistency you desire is reached. Add a little of the natural juice, if necessary, to brighten flavors. Adjust sugar as needed.

For berry syrups: Toss 1 c berries (slice strawberries if using) with a pinch of salt and 1-1.5 c sugar, depending on berry sweetness. Heat over low heat in a pot till the sugar dissolves into the juices. Add the same amount of water as sugar then bring to a simmer. Reduce partly, then strain the light syrup, pressing on the solids just a little, and return the syrup to the pot. Reduce to desired consistency. Adjust sugar. Add a little lemon juice to brighten flavors.

Hope this helps. It is one of those things you have to try and then play with to get it where you want it but it is easy to do.

A.D., I have done a few pineapple reductions using a fresh pineapple core cut into small bits sweeted with a little honey-probably not necessary-all reduced in apple juice. This yields pineapple 'candy' and a wonderful pinneapple sauce. I am sure it could be further reduced just as Kevin suggests to a syrup.

Until you try it, you cannot immagine the depth of flavor!

One batch is simmering as I write this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back