First Competion

Terry Murphy

TVWBB Fan
This first Comp. is Ribs, and Chicken. The organizer gives all the teams when they arrive 10 lb. of wings to cook for the "Peoples Choice Award". With that said, I have 2- 18.5 WSM'S, and my Performer. Do you folks think I have enough cooking space ? I feel it's going to be tight,whats your thoughts ? Thank You

For perspective, there are people that do full 4 meat KCBS contests with less equipment than you have listed.

I'll assume that the ribs/chicken turn-in are standard competition. I'm also going to assume that the turn-in times are pretty close together.

I would do the comp chicken on the performer, ribs on one WSM and the wings on the other. It's gonna be tight on space and you're going to have to hustle. The biggest problem is that neither of those two meats will 'hold' very well.

Russ

+1 to what Russ suggested. Ribs on one WSM, comp chicken on the Performer (set up for direct/indirect), and wings on the other WSM. Depending on how big/small the wings are, I might make a smaller fire in the charcoal ring and leave the water pan out to cook the wings over direct heat. The distance between the lit coals & the cooking grate(s) is enough that you shouldn't have a problem with flare ups.

thanks for the advice. I feel better now, thought maybe I bit off more than I can chew. Yes, the turn- in times are pretty close. Thanks again.

I would definitely get a rack for the Ribs, chicken 10lbs gonna be tricky. I'd cook Ribs on WSM and do roadside chicken on the kettle and hold on the wsm.

Terry,

Pickup one of the BGE grate extenders for about $15. Ace usually has them.

That will give you 3 racks in your 18" for the wings.

Back