WSM vs. ProQ Excel 20...Questions???

As I was leaving for lunch today, I check the United Parcel Service website to see if it had any new information on the estimated arrival of brand new ProQ Exel 20. "On Truck for Delivery" was all that was listed, which meant it could arrive during my lunch hour or it could arrive later this evening. D'oh!

Well, knowing that there wasn't much in the way of variety for lunch waiting for me at home, I decided to go out for a leisurely bite then get back to work. Something inside me told me to grab my camera on the way out of my office and before I made it to the restaurant, I decided to make a trip to the grocery to pick something up for lunch. Well, long story short, my bride called me while I was in line to check-out and asked if I was coming home for lunch. "Yes, I'm about 10 minutes away." I told her. She said, "I think you're in for a surprise."

It took me about 5 minutes to get there.

As I pulled into the driveway, this is what I saw...

000_0016.jpg

000_0017.jpg

A DOUBLE SURPRISE!!

Both the brand spankin' new WSM AND the shiney new ProQ Excel 20 (with an additional stacker) were waiting by my back door!

I hurried through lunch to get them inside where I was able to stand them up side-by-side for the initial comparison...

000_0018.jpg

000_0019.jpg

000_0020.jpg

...and was very impressed by how good the condition was of both of the shipments. Score 2 points for UPS.

After contemplating calling in sick the rest of the day, I decided that I'd better get back to work and begin plotting my next move towards the Battle of the Century...the Battle for Bullet Smoker Supremacy (presented by our Illinois sponsor: The Backyard BBQ Store in Wilmette, Illinois).

The Official battle will take place on August the 9th, but I'm thinking that I may have to do some initial comparisons this weekend just so we can get down to the nitty-gritty on August 9th...what do you guys think? Should I wait in tortured pain, or begin the comparisons as soon as possible??? (I will be sure to document everything from start to finish.)

Give me your thoughts! Since I have never cooked on either of these units, I would very much appreciate your input. Please let me know what you would like to have answered between the two cookers. What would you like to see compared? What pros & cons should I be mindful of when comparing the two? Anything else??

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Carpe 'Que,
Jim Rhino

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck McGhee:
I think you should wait.

But that because I want to come play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you weren't busy doing 'Honey Do' things this weekend, and trying to squeeze in a little play time for your new Pitmaster Deluxe, you could come over and play. Decisions, decsions.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Fire them bad boys up!
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL...that's what I'm thinking too! May wait until next week though...the family will be gone to Chicago for the week...I'll have the whole place to myself.

BTW...I love your signature quote! I'm gonna have to remember that one!

would you be able to post a pic of the 'pro q' out of box? if its not a big pain in the a$$ for you I mean. and if not i'll wait till cooking pics. somehow I don't know what that is, im sheltered i guess. my one and ONLY gripe about the wsm is the door.... the darn door.... the floppy, no stay together... always turning clockwise only darn door..
icon_biggrin.gif
. A good comp. between the two would be obviosly no temp. control units. Stock everything. of course exact amounts of fuel, and same brand, etc. how many times do you have to 'knob' one during a cook... heck you know compare everything, that would be cool to know. and can I ask a price comparison if you don't mind me asking? thanks.

Ribs will fit better on the ProQ, but I want to know about the quality.

I'm thinking about getting the WSM Stacker at some point. I think Fred's was pre-sold out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan H.:
would you be able to post a pic of the 'pro q' out of box? if its not a big pain in the a$$ for you I mean. and if not i'll wait till cooking pics. somehow I don't know what that is, im sheltered i guess. my one and ONLY gripe about the wsm is the door.... the darn door.... the floppy, no stay together... always turning clockwise only darn door..
icon_biggrin.gif
. A good comp. between the two would be obviosly no temp. control units. Stock everything. of course exact amounts of fuel, and same brand, etc. how many times do you have to 'knob' one during a cook... heck you know compare everything, that would be cool to know. and can I ask a price comparison if you don't mind me asking? thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
All good items to compare...they're on the checklist. Thanks!

When I get the boxes cut open, I will be taking pictures of every step of the process...from unboxing to builing to cooking. We'll take a look at, and compare, the out-of-the-box units so that it will be a fair 'apples-to-apples' kind of comparison.

I'm expecting a new video camera on Monday/Tuesday, so will probably wait on the preliminary testing until then.

Prices will vary depending on when you buy, where you buy, etc. but the WSM's typically run between $200 - $250 on some of the online retailers. The ProQ is selling for around $300, but it is a bigger unit, with more listed capacity and features than the WSM. We will soon see.

Hi Dan,

Nope, the thread didn't dye...just on hold until after August 9th when we do the extensive testing. Here are a few preliminary pictures of the ProQ Excel 20.

ProQ Excel 20 (out of the box, legs installed)
100_3036.JPG

ProQ Excel 20 w/Optional Stacker
100_3037.JPG

Hope that helps. I have some side-by-side shots of the two cookers, but they are still on my camera...will get them up soon.

Here are some pictures of the two units side-by-side...

100_3046.JPG

100_3047.JPG

I'm also working on a video to the two...will be a while before that is available, but will let you know when it's ready.

Here are a couple of pics with a stacker added on the ProQ. In all fairness, I will tell you that I do not have a stacker for the WSM, so all comparison tests will be run without the ProQ Stacker on the Excel. Just thought you would want to see...

100_3048.JPG

100_3049.JPG

Haven't fired her up yet. This Saturday, August 9th is the Battle for Bullet Smoker Supremacy. Will have details available next week.

Thanks for being patient.
icon_smile.gif

Well...the Battle for Bullet Smoker Supremacy is over. It was a magnificent battle...temps were monitored...both units were picked apart by a TRUE WSM Fan...the results are in and the verdict is...

...going to be coming soon. (D'OH, I'm such a tease!)

Video clips were shot, opinions were formed, and the results are being organized for release. I'm trying to recouperate (complete with the first sunburn I've had in years) from from the day yesterday...catering the night before...setting up for my youngest son's birthday party today. Stay tuned!

Back