other suggestions for the Pork Loin recipe

Chuck Page

I have used the pork loin recipe from the VWB site and loved it
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/porkloin1.html I now find myself being asked to cook it without the ability to finish it off for 6 minutes in a 500 degree oven.

a couple of questions:
how important is this step?
could I just use a propane torch and brown it that way?

Thanks,
Chuck
PS I use the Orange Juice Marinade

That step is just for appearance. I can think of a few alternatives to skipping the step altogether. Not tried a propane torch, don't see why not.

Brown it on a grill or disassemble the WSM, slap the grate over the charcoal ring and use your coals to brown it.

You could cook it hotter to start with. Try for a 350ºF cook, then you wouldn't need to do the browning step at all.

Oh that's cool it's just for appearance, well then I'll just use my regular grill that I'll be cooking sausages on for fold-over appetizers. to Grill it.

Another Question I will be making a lot of Pork Loin
3 full loins cut in half on both sections should I adjust my temperature or add more hickory chips?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Page:
Another Question I will be making a lot of Pork Loin
3 full loins cut in half on both sections should I adjust my temperature or add more hickory chips? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Neither should be necessary. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. If cooking one or 3 loins, temps and the amount of smoke wood remains the same. Might take a tad longer to get up to temp, with a little more cold meat mass in there, but not much longer. Wood is going to put out the same amount of smoke wether you have 1 or 10 loins in there. The only time I up the smoke wood is for shorter High Heat cooks.
icon_wink.gif

Back