Interesting Conversation with Weber Customer Service

KevinK

TVWBB Member
I am planning to add a bottom vent to my SJP to get better air flow.

When ordering the parts, I made an apparent mistake of being honest and mentioned I am using the parts to make some mods to the sjp. At that point, the rep paused and mentioned that she could not sell me the parts to make such changes. After a few minutes of discussing this, I finally just told her that I will be replacing the vent on an old sj silver. At that point, she reluctantly agreed to sell me the parts even though she new that it was not true.

The rep was very friendly throughout the conversation and I reassured her that I understood and would not attempt any warranty returns on the platinum (even though I wasn't going to make mods to it
icon_wink.gif
)

I've had a similar experience, trying to order a Weber gas grill thermometer to install into a WSM. I was told one of the reasons they are relunctant to sell parts like this is to make sure they retain enough stock for actual product repairs.

In any event, it may be best to just try to order parts without explaining why. Some white lies may be necessary.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I've had a similar experience, trying to order a Weber gas grill thermometer to install into a WSM. I was told one of the reasons they are relunctant to sell parts like this is to make sure they retain enough stock for actual product repairs.

In any event, it may be best to just try to order parts without explaining why. Some white lies may be necessary.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't require you to tell them why you are ordering the parts so even a "white lie" isn't needed.

A white lie may be needed...I speak from first-hand experience.

For example, when I wanted to order a thermometer for a Weber Summit that I did not own, they asked me for the serial number of my grill, but I didn't have one to give. So I said, "I'm calling from work, I don't have my serial number handy." Little white lie. OK, maybe more than a white lie.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

I cannot tell a lie. So can I have the serial # for the Summit grill!!

Got the same response last Summer when I wanted the thermometer holder for a Genesis.

if you go to your local hardware store that handles weber they will order it for you and weber wont ask them any silly questions

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
A white lie may be needed...I speak from first-hand experience.

For example, when I wanted to order a thermometer for a Weber Summit that I did not own, they asked me for the serial number of my grill, but I didn't have one to give. So I said, "I'm calling from work, I don't have my serial number handy." Little white lie. OK, maybe more than a white lie.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have great CS, but that's kind of creepy (on the part of Weber not you Chris
icon_biggrin.gif
).

I ordered some of the vents for wsm last year to put on my kettle that I converted into a magnum. I mentioned nothing about the mod I just said that I bent my vents on my wsm and wanted to replace them. They did ask for the model # or whatever # it is. I wasn't around the wsm and she figured it out from when I bought it.

My only problem was I recieved a part for the ash pan of a one touch gold. The next lady I ended up talking to was very rude. I paid extra for quick shipping from the first call and she wouldn't ship it next day. I still had to call back because I got the right parts the second time just not the quantity I had ordered. The last person I talked to was very nice and even shipped more than the original quantity I had ordered. He also shipped it 2nd day like I had ordered originally.

Overall I had good experience with weber cs. I was extremely ticked at the second lady I had talked to. She was very rude, I would be surprised to hear she is still working there. The other 2 were great. The first lady I had talked to even told me about the virtual weber bullet website.

When I was doing my sjp mod, I told them I was doing a modification. As I recall, they told me that I would lose my warranty if I made any changes to the product. I told them that I didn't care. They proceeded to take my information down. I think that they are just concerned about a potential products liability case involving injury or damage to property or person due to the modification. Under products liability law, the manufacturer must advise that the product must be used for its intended purposes and has a duty to warn of the potentially dangerous modifcations of their product. THere is an implied warratny of merchantability for every product, which basically means that the product is fit for its intended purpose. WHen you alter the product it is no longer fit for its intended purpose. This would consitute a defense on their part. However, when we tell them we're doing a modification, and they take no steps to warn us of the dangerous consequences of same, then they are undermining their own defense that we altered their product. Hence, it is therefore best not to tell them why you need the parts. Don't ask and don't tell. It protects them, and the consumer should bear the risk of a modification that results injury.

I had a similar experience as Chris. Ordered a number of vents/hardware for the Performer. I'm going to mod the top so that I can control temps with multiple top vents in addition to the bottom vent (when using the rotie).

I started out just telling the person I wanted parts and had a list. Gave them to her and she asked for serial number. Told her I didn't have that available right now. She gave me the warranty warning statement. I said "Thank you, when will the parts ship?". No issues other than that. She was very friendly and courteous throughout the call.

Back