Pastrami cure, time critical?

Hi,
I've got a brisket curing for pastrami, and I'm essentially following Chris' recipe. I've seen different time for the length of cure around the web. Chris calls for 3 days. 4 would be convenient for me. Is that a problem?

4 days is fine, but make sure you soak it thoroughly. It's difficult to "over-cure" something but I'm pretty sure this isn't an equilibrium cure so the good amount of MTQ will probably make it saltier with extra time.

Michael I have been wanting to try a Pastrami can you post some pictures and let us know who it comes out

I've done both three day and four day cures with MTQ. I prefer 4, since it seems to give me better penetration (no uncured streaks in the middle of the brisket). Taste and texture were the same as far as I could tell....
Both were fantastic!
Dan

Thanks, Dan. Mine went for four days, but came out dry which I guess means overcooked [esp as I had some high temp issues]. Mind you, it was quite edible. Will try again soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">[esp as I had some high temp issues]. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
High temps in no way cause dryness. Overcooking does - or undercooking.

Did you smoke to a particular temp and then remove it? If so, what temp?

(Btw, you can cure several days longer with no ill effects.)

Ahh. Cook to a lower internal. Steam to finish, either the whole or a portion of the brisket, then slice and serve - or slice then steam the slices; serve.

Back