What Stem Length for my Tel-Tru Thermometer

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
I have decided to purchase a Tel-Tru thermometer but I am unsure what length stem to get. I have done a search on the forum for my question but I have not found a definitive answer. I do not want to drill into my WSM so my plan is to stick a thermometer through the top vent. I have read that the 4 inch stem might make contact with certain meats so the 2.5 inch was recommended. Will the 2.5 inch be long enough if I am going to use a cork or a lid vent clip? My thought is that it would be too short and that a 4 inch would be better. Any thoughts, experience?

I'm also going to purchase a Tel-Tru. I think I will get the 4 inch. My thought is that if a big piece of meat is on I'll just slide the thermometer up in the cork so less probe is sticking in the cooker. Or use some kind of spacer to raise it. Some people with a 4 inch stem say it doesn't hit the food. I'm sure people will write in.

Check these out...

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8680069052/m/2430080894

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8680069052/m/4370051925

Hope they help...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

If you are going to use it in the top vent, I'd recommend the 2.5" from BBQGuru. It has a silicone stopper so you don't need to mess with a cork or anything, and it's portable. Use it in the smoker, take it out, use it in a kettle or other cooker. I have one, it works great, is accurate and as I say portable.
I have the 4" built into my WSM. (friend did the work for me) That too is great and has not gotten in the way of anything I've smoked to date.
Dave

I highly recommend a longer stem (4 inches or so). The shorter stem will not be close enough to the meat or far enough away from the vent to give a good reading. You can usually shorten up a stem that is too long by the way you mount it and stick it through the vent but you can't make a short stem longer. The shorter stems are for a permanent mount on the other side of the lid.

I was just browsing the board to see where I can find a stacker. I've only seen the one from the UK so far though. I bought a 4 1/2 inch tel-tru. I found when I use a rib rack the length of the te-tru does hit the meat. I'm thinking about getting 2.5 or 3" to replace it. It would be nice to be able to add a stacker on so I dont need a rib rack. just my thoughts.

Back