anchopotle

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
Had some poblanos in our garden that were going to get bit by frost if I didn't find something to do with them, so a chucked a handful on my wsm while other stuff was smoking. They couldn't have been on much more than an hour but it was more than sufficient to impart a nice smoke flavor and to dry them.

IMG_3573.jpg

So far I used one, tossing it in with some breakfast potatoes as they were frying. I immediately thought of chipotles with out the searing heat. The flavor was really great and I'm looking forward to finding other uses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reconstitute then stuff, as for chiles rellenos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at what point would they get peeled? I know you recommend peeling poblanos for rellenos.

They do not get peeled. Nor are they battered and fried. Anchos are rehydrated in cold water or, better, a chilled escabeche. Then they are slit carefully so the seeds and pod can be removed. They are either then filled with a warm stuffing (potato-chorizo, e.g.) and served, or they are filled (potato, chorizo, cheese, e.g.) and placed into a pan containing sauce (tomato-ancho, e.g.) and baked till the cheese melts.

Back