Carne Asada

Ron Pierce

TVWBB Member
Do you have a carne asada recipe you like? Is flank steak used most typically?

I'm assuming Carne Asada is typically cooked hot and fast as opposed to smoked.

Thanks!
Ron

I really like this one, I found it on the net, I forget where. Food Network maybe? Any why it's great.

2 pounds skirt steak
1 recipe Mojo, recipe follows
Olive oil, for coating the grill
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
16 (7-inch) corn tortillas
Shredded romaine, for serving
Chopped white onion, for serving
Shredded Jack cheese, for serving
2 limes, cut in wedges for serving

Lay the steak in a large baking dish and pour the mojo over it. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 8 hours, so the flavors can sink into the meat. Don't marinate the steak for more than 8 hours though, or the fibers break down too much and the meat gets mushy.
Preheat an outdoor grill or a ridged grill pan over medium-high flame. Brush the grates with a little oil to prevent the meat from sticking. Pull the steak out of the mojo marinade and season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill the steak for 7 to 10 minutes per side, turning once, until medium-rare. Remove the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak across the grain.

Warm the tortillas for 30 seconds on each side in a dry skillet or on the grill, until toasty and pliable.

To make the tacos, stack up 2 of the warm tortillas, lay about 4 ounces of beef down the center, and sprinkle with some lettuce, onion, and cheese. Top each taco with a spoonful of salsa and garnish with lime wedges. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.

Mojo:
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 large handful fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 limes, juiced
1 orange, juiced
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil

In a mortar and pestle or bowl, mash together the garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, and pepper to make a paste. Put the paste in a glass jar or plastic container. Add the lime juice, orange juice, vinegar, and oil. Shake it up really well to combine. Use as a marinade for chicken or beef or as a table condiment.

My salsa of choice:

2 lb. Plume tomatoes
5 Jalapino (sp) chiles
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
5 cloves galic
2 tablespoones cider vineger
1 3/4 bunch cilantro, finely chopped

Roast tomatoes and chiles under broiler until soft skins are charred, 7 or 8 min. per side.
Remove and let cool.
While cooling reduce heat to 450deg, spread onion on cookie sheet or alum. foil, toss in garlic. Slide into oven for about 20 min.
Then toss chiles, galic and onion into food processoer, process to a thick paste. Scrape out into large bowl.
Toss tomatoes into processor pulse until tomatoes are medium chunky. Pour into bowl containing paste. Toss in cilatro and vineger. Mix well. Let sit for 8 hours.

Is there a less expensive meat choice for this than flank or skirt steak? The butchers around here are awfully proud of their flank / skirt steak.

Would a thin london broil or other similar steak substitue well? Other suggestions?

Thanks,
Ron

Hey Ron, the carne asada recipe from the allrecipes site (above) is absolutely amazing. I made it a few months back and everyone loved the flavor. You should try it. Now when it comes to meat, I like to use skirt steak since it has more fat around it (compared to flank or top round). HOwever, you can use a round roast(top preferred) and slice it thinly. Most people think london broil is a cut of meat, however it's a cooking method made by using round steak or flank, very similar to making carne asada. It involves marinating the meat, cooking it under high heat (grill) and slicing it against the grain.

If you have any mexican grocery stores in your area you can usually get it there, there are several different cuts as "carne asada" just translates to "grilled meat". The skirt steak in a carnerceria is usually called Ranchera and is far and away better than anything else you can use. Here in So Cal I usually pay about 3.99 per pound and have them marinade it, this is usually free and very good. It is a combination of onion, garlic, chile powder, cilantro, and Orange Juice.

Back