Cleaning Summit burner holes with eyeglasses screwdriver

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Each spring I take apart the insides of my Summit 450 gas grill and clean everything thoroughly. Last year and again this year, I noticed that some of the little rectangular holes in the burner tubes are clogged with what appears to be rust.

I called Weber and asked what to do. They suggested using a straightened paper clip to punch open the holes, making sure not to make the holes bigger, just clearing them of debris.

This worked OK, but I found a better solution that I wanted to share. The little screwdriver you use to tighten your eyeglasses is the perfect tool for opening those little rectangular holes. You can get a good grip on the tool with your fingers and the shape of the little blade matches those little holes perfectly, unlike the round wire of a paper clip.

Regards,
Chris

I have recomended every thing from a paper clip or a tooth pick... I have a gen. 1000 and I just use a small steel wire brush that is like the size of a toothbrush. keep the burners in the grill and brush the holes up and down. NOT side to side.

Joe

I get rust in the holes near the back of the firebox in two of the four burners. It won't budge even when attacked with the kind of brush you're referring to. I end up having to punch the rust out of the holes as described, then all is well again.

Regards,
Chris

The actual burner tubes. (For those following along at home, the Summit 450 has 4 burner tubes running from front to back and two crossover tubes that connect each pair of burners, The crossover tubes carry the flame from the first burner tube that is ignited by the start button over to the second burner tube.)

By the way, the holes in portions of the crossover tubes are pretty much burned through and gone, but I assume that doesn't have much of an effect on the performance of the grill as long as the flame can still crossover. At what point should they be replaced?

Regards,
Chris

The warranty states 10 years on ss burners. I have allways considered the crossover tubes to be in that class though now and then I see an order wehre the crossover tubes have been paid for. The rule for most all parts on a Weber. If it is still in tact, it doesn't need to be replaced.

By what you are describing, the cross over tubes should be replaced. If any thing, you may have higher temps at the back end of the grill due to the slightly larger flame. The burners and crossover tubes should be taken out and cleaned about once a year. If you take the burner tubes out and the crossover tubes brake, I would be more than happy to send you a new set. I see this on both summit and genesis grills. IMHO the steel that is used for the crossover tubes is not up to par with the burner tubes themselves. Replace the burner tubes when the holes become too big or they break also.

I too love the Summit 450. We had one on the patio here from 2000 up untill last year when we gave it away at a drawing for employees. We gave away like 5 good used but referbished grills. The only part replaced on the Summit 450 was the ignition chambers. You got a keeper!

Back