Ash Fan For Performer, EZ Model

craig hess

TVWBB Fan
Ash fan needs to be replaced on my red head performer, EZ model...its the orignal fan so pretty much due to be replaced since its not fluch to the bottom of the bowl and I accidently bent the handle last weekend (don't want to talk about it).

Should I just call weber direct or swing by my local hardware/home improvement store?

Thanks George. I think I can swing the 13 bucks.
icon_smile.gif

Craig,
Your grill was nade in 1998. It is likely the old style of system. I would look to see if it comes apart easily or is totally rusted out.
The standard one touch parts are usually at a Weber dealer\hardware store. They made 2 different styles or types. You won't find the old style. I would call Weber and see if they have the old parts or what they recommend. Some people have converted to the newer system by making a few modifications. (Easy if you are handy.) There are many discussions on this very subject. I don't have a link handy, but you should be able to find the info you need.
First thing I would do is take off the bowl and look at, then you can decide what route to go.
AJ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ S.:
Craig,
Your grill was nade in 1998. It is likely the old style of system. I would look to see if it comes apart easily or is totally rusted out.
The standard one touch parts are usually at a Weber dealer\hardware store. They made 2 different styles or types. You won't find the old style. I would call Weber and see if they have the old parts or what they recommend. Some people have converted to the newer system by making a few modifications. (Easy if you are handy.) There are many discussions on this very subject. I don't have a link handy, but you should be able to find the info you need.
First thing I would do is take off the bowl and look at, then you can decide what route to go.
AJ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AJ-

Thanks for the info. The fan isn't rusted, just not flush to the bottom anymore, which us causing it to catch the propane tube which extends into bowl. I bent the handle because I wasn't paying attention and couldn't understand why the fan wasn't moving so pulled really hard, thinking it was stuck on some crud.

Since I bought a 22.5 WSM this past spring, not being able to completely have the bottom vents closed/flush isn't too much of an issue since I don't use it for a smoker anymore, but I do enough indirect and rotisserie HH cooks that I want to be able to dial in my temps where I want and know it will stay put.

In all honesty, I've never used the igniter to light my coals, I prefer my chimney starter. I wanted the SS performer because 1) i love the redheads 2)it was 75 bucks and in great shape 3)love the table and storage

Craig,
Glad to help/ And who doesn't love a redhead?
Sounds like you dont have too much to worry aobut.
You could probably take it apart, do a good cleaning of the bowl and parts and just bend everything back into place.
I think that if you tried the ignition system with your chimney, you'll never look back So easy to use and your coals get going really fast.
Share some pics when you get time!
AJ

I agree with what AJ said. If it's not rusted on and you can get it off I would just take it apart, give it a cleaning, and bend it back so its flush again. Keep in mind if you have to order anything direct from weber it will be a flat $7 shipping fee.

Also, as AJ said, stick your chimney over the gas igniter and your coals will be ready much quicker. To go one step further, take the grate out of your chimney, flip it over, and put it back in (|v|). This will get the coals closer to the flame and allow your chimney to hold more.

Justin said..
"To go one step further, take the grate out of your chimney, flip it over, and put it back in (|v|). This will get the coals closer to the flame and allow your chimney to hold more."

Cool, I just learned a new trick! Must not be an old dog yet!
AJ

Just passing along information I too have learned from this site
icon_biggrin.gif

I met Mac McClure, along with Steve Whiting, and Mark Evenson a bit back at a local competition and Mac suggested doing it.

It takes a little finagling (sp?) to get it out and back in but it is possible
icon_razz.gif

what is the easiest way to get the chimney grate out and flip it? I have had a difficult time trying to get even one leg of the cone shaped grate out of the chimney. I wonder if it works better with a new chimney, before the grate has had a few heat cycles and begun to rust? My chimney is a couple of years old and the grate is a little rusty and doesn't have enough room to get the leg out of the slot in the side without bending the chimney out of shape. If this isn't a big deal to get back together, I will happily bend the chimney as needed.

Here is how I have do it. Take a large flat blade screwdriver and put the tip between the outer ring of the chimney grate and the inner wall of the chimney just to the side of one of the support pieces which terminates in a j-shape and sticks through the slot in the chimney wall. Turn the screwdriver to slightly bow out the chimney wall while pushing down with your other hand on edge of the grate near where you have the screwdriver, The j-shaped support piece will pop out of the slot in the chimney. Push the grate down a little past the slot and move to another slot and repeat. The grate should push out the bottom of the chinmey. Flip the chimney over with the bottom facing up. After flipping the grate feed one j-shaped support piece into its slot by hand. Use the screwdriver to slightly bow the chimney wall and push down until the second support piece snaps into a slot. You may be able to push the third support piece in by hand. If not, pry with the screwdriver betwen the outer ring of the grate and the inside of the chiney wall while putting downward pressure on the grate until the third j-shaped support piece snaps into place. Unless the chimney or grate is badly rusted the chimney will not need more than some gentle reshaping by hand. Clear as mud? Perhaps others have better way and are better at explaining it. Won't take you more than a couple of minutes.

Nope Terry, that's the same way I did it. At first I thought there was no way it was possible but just about then the grate popped out. It does take some encouraging but it can be done. My chimney was well used when I finally decided to do it. The grate did bend a little where the tabs are but I was able to bend them back in shape.

Good luck!

Thanks Terry and Justin for the tutorial. Your instructions do make sense, I just need to flip the grate before the next time I cook something this week.

I was concerned that having a well used chimney might make it more difficult to flip the grate than a newer one, and maybe I was just looking for an excuse to buy a new one.
icon_wink.gif
I did find the first one I bought maybe 7-8 years ago buried under some stuff in the shed, so I don't need to buy another one after all.

Back