tank changes

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
so how are you folks dealing with the change from acme fittings to pol fittings ? do you still get yer old tanks filled ? get an adapter ? forced to get new tanks ? changes always cost the consumer big time.
icon_frown.gif

I have no idea what you're talking about. I am familiar with the change to tanks with overfill protection, but that was a couple of years ago.

Is this something happening with rental tanks?

the acme were the ones with the internal left hand threads. many folks still have them the pol id the one with the external right hand threads. also with the overfill protection. what i'm wondering is how folks dealt with the change. adapters ? still getting them refilled ? or forced to get new tanks.

It's getting pretty hard to find anyone that will fill the old style tanks. Someone told me that you can take an old tank to the gas company and they will change out the valve for you for a charge. I would just exchange the tank somewhere and be done with it.

I would just look in craigslist for used "newer" models. There are always some in my city for 5 or 10 bucks. Then dump the old one.

Or go to bjs, walmart, etc and just buy a new tank for 20 or 30. Done and done.

Todd

Yeah what Todd said. I got a like-new spare 20# tank with OPD off CL for $5. The guy even met me half-way for the exchange. Since he was driving a brand-new F-150, he spent more on gas than the fiver I gave him. Guess he just wanted to get rid of it.

ok, yea they also need to have the opd, overfill protection device. most should have that by now. ya can tell by a triangular valve wheel. anyway i go outside to take a closer look at mine and find that mine are updated ones. i have no idea how i got those as i don't remember changing them in the last ten years.
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
anyway i go outside to take a closer look at mine and find that mine are updated ones. i have no idea how i got those as i don't remember changing them in the last ten years.
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you do the tank exchange thing then that's prob how you got them. I buy my tanks and just get them re-filled. BJ's is my best price here in PA for buying new tanks.
icon_wink.gif

Back