$15 Burger

Jay Critchfield

TVWBB Member
This was inspired by Chris' smoked meatloaf.

My kids named this the $15 Restaurant Burger.

1 lb ground beef (12%)
1 lb ground pork
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup catsup
1 tsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
Italian breadcrumbs

In a medium sized bowl mix egg, milk, catsup, mustard, onion powder and garlic powder. Add ground meat. Mix together thoroughly. Add breadcrumbs until meat mixture no longer sticks to bowl. Divide mixture into six equal parts and form into patties about 3/4 to 1 inch thick.

Set up grill with hot coals on one side only. Over a hot fire sear both sides of each patty but do not burn just enough to brown and get good grill marks. This will happen quickly so be vigilant. When both sides of the patties have been seared move them to the other side of the grill away from the coals. If you want some smoke flavor add a small handful of wood chips now. Put the lid on and cook until patty reaches 155-160*F. When done remove from grill, add your favorite cheese and loosely cover with foil while you prepare the bun.

These are our favorite fixins:

Oroweat Potato Buns
Vine ripened tomato
Red onion sliced thin
Vlasic Stackers Bread & Butter pickles
Butter lettuce
Catsup, mustard, salt & pepper etc. to taste

Loosen your belt and enjoy!

Caution! Un-cut patties hold their juice and stay hot for a long time.

For maximum cholesterol ditch the veggies and add bacon, deep-fried onion rings and your favorite BBQ sauce. (Ugh! you've been warned!)

I don't remember who gave me this recipe, but it is incredible.

GARLIC HAMBURGERS WITH CHILE SAUCE:

MEAT:
1 lb Lean ground beef
1 tsp Crushed garlic (2 cloves)
1/2 tsp ea Salt, pepper, granulated garlic (garlic powder)
SAUCE:

1/4 lb Ground pork
1/4 C Grated onion
1/2 tsp Crushed garlic (1 clove)
1 tbl Olive oil
1/4 C Ketchup
1/2 C Water
1 1/2 tbl Tomato paste (tube is best)
1/4 tsp Granulated garlic (garlic powder)
1/4 tsp Ground cumin
1/2 tbl Chile powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Penzeys bay leaf seasoning or 1/8 tsp Powdered bay leaf
Minced fresh or crumbled dry Cilantro for garnish
Cook pork in olive oil with onion and garlic until meat loses its color. Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro, and bring to boil, stirring sauce consistently. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Mix the meat with garlic and seasonings and form into three or four patties. Grill over high heat/coals for fifteen minutes, turning once. Remove to hot platter, cover with chili sauce, and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve.

Both of these recipes sound great!

Instead of 1" thick, you could try keeping them to 1/2" thick and just make them wider.

I take my hand mixed meat stuff (lean GB) and pat them to 1/2" thick, about 6"-8" across. They grill faster, don't get black and seem juicier than thickies.

After shrinkage they usually hang out of a grilled onion kaiser bun all the way around not quite an inch. Nobody goes for seconds.

Aug 22, 2004: ok, looking at a ruler here .... 1/2" - 3/4" but under 1" for sure SW

Boy, that all sounds great.....

I'm with Shawn....I make my burgers less than 1" thick (and wide).....I don't know why, but the thick ones seam to get chewy.

Try adding tomato juice to yer ground beef mixture, and boy will you get moist burgers! On the other hand, the red color will terrify some of your guests.

Shawn, Anthony, Me too, thin and wide so's when they shrink up they fit the bun perfect.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Back