Pork Chops

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I have a whole mess of 1/2" thick pork chops that I am going to smoke up. I have never smoked anything this thin before. I was thinking of brining for an hour, dusting with some salt free rub, and smoking at 225-250 for an hour. I know these would be better suited for grilling but I want to smoke them, shock them in some cold sauce, and on sunday throw them on the grill to heat up and caramelize the sauce. I think the method is sound, my only worry is about the brining and cooking times. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.

At 1/2" thick, I think 3-8 hours would work. Since you'll be hitting the heat twice, I'd only smoke until an internal of 140-150 (don't want to dry out the chops). Then on Sunday, go with a high heat direct for grill marks and then glaze with your sauce and finish until sauce is firmed up.

Paul

Gerry,

I love me some Pork Chops - but 1/2-inch sounds a little on the "thin" side IMHO. Kinda' easy to dry-out if you're not careful.

I you're going to brine and smoke them, next time - I would try a whole, bone-in loin. Brine it whole, smoke it whole, THEN have it sliced. (At this point, a quick shot on a hot grill is all that you need.)

Otherwise, I like Pork Chops at about 1-1/2 inch thick. Grill 'em indirect for a while, so that they cook-through and sauce them about 10 minutes before they're done, so that the sauce carmelizes. I like:
-Honey & dijon mustard in equal parts
-A nice tangy barbeque sauce
-Sweet soy / ginger (maybe a little orange) asian-type glaze

Yeah I never buy them less than 1" thick. I was cooking for party and came across a case of 1/2" thick chops at a good price so I thought I'd give it a shot. They went over well but to be honest, it was pretty much ham. They weren't dry at all. I brined them for 6 hours (I wanted to take them out at 4 hours but was prepping other things and the time got away from me), rubbed with a salt free rub, and smoked at 250 for an hour. Shocked them in some cold sauce (number 5 with pork drippings) and grilled them on the day of the party to heat up and caramelize the sauce. Oh well I am my own harshest critic. There wern't any left so they must have been good.

Back