tel tru install question

Tim C

TVWBB Super Fan
i've seen the tel tru installed opposite the vent on the lid and also just below the top grate on the side above the door. which works best? i ordered mine today.

I'd have to say the lid. It seems like more people submit pictures of the Tel-tru in the lid than on the side.

Hey Tim,

Chris has a nice write-up on mounting the thermometer. I mounted mine in the lid for a few reasons... The area just inside the WSM wall is quite a bit hotter than the rest of the cooker and a thermometer mounted through that area might register higher than it really is in the cooker (depends on probe length.) Second, the lid temp is pretty standard around here so as you are reading recipes, you won't have any doubts when someone says to cook at "275 lid." Lastly, you don't have to bend down to read a lid-mounted thermometer (my favorite reason!)

Just my two cents... Good luck!

the lid seems best.hadnt thought about being easier to see on top but that is definately something to consider. the cover will fit better too.ive been thinking of doing this for awhile. i ruined a probe cable on my remote therm running it under the lid. got some eyelets on the way too. thanks

Tom - follow up question. I just picked up one of the Tel-Tru shown in your reference. I noticed that the very first photo shows one with a clip that allows it to be inserted through the vent hole. Any idea where that clip came from?

I have the step drills to make the hole, but wondering if I want to do that or use one of those clips. Makes it transferable to other equipment. I kind of liked that about the smaller one I had from BBQ Guru until I dropped it :-(

I installed a tru tel in my WSM over the summer. Here are my pics click here

It's not that hard to do. I put mine in the lid for reasons already mentioned. Not the least of which is that most people use lid temp as the standard in recipes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Tom - follow up question. I just picked up one of the Tel-Tru shown in your reference. I noticed that the very first photo shows one with a clip that allows it to be inserted through the vent hole. Any idea where that clip came from?

I have the step drills to make the hole, but wondering if I want to do that or use one of those clips. Makes it transferable to other equipment. I kind of liked that about the smaller one I had from BBQ Guru until I dropped it :-( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know where the clip comes from. A removable thermometer does give some added flexibility but I like the sturdiness and permanence of the mounted one but I suppose one could go either way. A loose thermometer would be easier to clean but I would likely drop it also and my patio is pretty unforgiving! I bought additional Tel-Tru thermometers for my other cookers and mounted them permanently. I guess it is a personal preference. You could fashion a retaining clip from thin spring stainless pretty easily I would think. Or else, you could use a hose clamp or clothes pin as an retainer too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris S Lewis:
I installed a tru tel in my WSM over the summer. Here are my pics click here

It's not that hard to do. I put mine in the lid for reasons already mentioned. Not the least of which is that most people use lid temp as the standard in recipes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sweet job!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Thanks for taking the time to post the photos.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any idea where that clip came from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably from a candy thermometer, but usually not available separately that I have seen anywhere.

Right! Probably have one laying loose in the kitchen drawer right next to the candy therm.

Thanks

Back