Rack of Lamb on my Weber Kettle

BriceB

I have a small (1.25 lbs) rack of lamb that I was planning to cook tonight on my OTS. I was looking for any recipe suggestions or cooking tips. I will say that I'm not a huge fan of mint, and an overnight marinade isn't feasible. I do have some fresh homemade pesto and I'm wondering if anyone has tried that with lamb. I'm thinking the flavors would be pretty complimentary. Thanks for any advice you might have.

Brice

I would make a basic paste and then serve it with the pesto. I wouldn't put the pesto on it and then grill it.

For a paste maybe something like Garlic, onion, lemon zest, and rosemary. I would mix that up with a small amount of oil. I like a little heat with everything so I would probably toss in some aleppo or chili flakes.

Clark

Thanks for the advice. I ended up finding a recipe along those lines in Raichlen's BBQ USA. It was a paste made from grated fresh Parmesan, minced garlic, dried basil and oregano, crack peppercorns and olive oil. I slathered it on about 30 min. ahead of time, then indirect grilled the rack on my weber for about 25 min. I added a touch of applewood chips to the coals for some light smoke flavor. The lamb was excellent, can't believe I haven't grilled it before!

Just saw this post.
Lamb is extremely good brined.
Brine for 5 hours with a basic brine with some Garlic and Rosemary as the aromatics.

When grilling Lamb a squeeze of lemon on it during the grilling enhances the flavour by adding an acidic freshness. You do not need much in the way of additional spices or complex rubs, they tend to mask the true Lamb flavour. Lamb also lends itself to a reverse sear and is best cooked to a medium rare to medium doneness.

If grilling direct on a Q or Genesis grill it on a rack not the CI grates to reduce the searing cook with the meat sidec down first and for 2/3 of the cooking time. Cook with the fat side down last, this gives the fat a chance to render down and flow into the meat. It adds to the flavour.

Regards

Back