Charcoal vs Electric Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm looking at various smokers, and have learned from numerous sources that Weber is the best.

In considering fuel source options, I've been advised that gas smokers often run too hot. This narrows the field to electric and charcoal. I've also been told that with electric you still get the flavor of the smoke from the wood, but the product is missing a bit of flavor that charcoal would otherwise add.

On the other hand, I've been told charcoal smokers sometimes yield TOO smoky a taste (maybe just too much wood?).

I'm looking for the balance of ease and simplicity with good results.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Karen

Karen,

I recently went through this same decision process although I had a brinkman electric to begin with.

First off i must tell you that the quality of the Weber surpasses anything on the market in this category.

In traditional Weber fashion, the design of the unit is virtually air (smoke) tight and as a result the temp control is amazing. With regard to "Too" much of a smoky flavor, You will find that this is in fact more a matter of proper technique than unique to a particular smoker/process.

I have had my WSM about 2 months and use it at least once a week with terrific results. Don't be fooled though, if you are looking for a unit which you can "turn on" and cook the WSM is not that animal...typical prep time for the cooker is approx 1 hour. By the time you have pulled the cover to the time you drop the lid you must start your chimney, clean your grates, prep your smoke wood, depending on whether you use the Minion method, you must then temper your coals, bring the temp into range...all before beginning to BBQ. Don't get me wrong...I think I speak for quite a few who would argue (myself included) that this is the best part of the day.

Although you didn't mention what your specific objectives were, I can not spek highly enough of the WSM.

TOMMYK

The beauty of the WSM versus an electric smoker is temperature control which give you many, many more options for cooking different types of meats. I may be wrong, but I do not think there is a termperature controller on the electric smokers which does not allow you to "dial" in the temperature that you want.

I have used charcoal smokers for years and have never cooked any meat that was too smokey. I made some that was bitter one time, but that was from using too much hickory.

With the WSM, I can target temperatures anywhere from 210 to 350 and hold that specific temperature for multiple hours using one batch of charcoal. For instance, I have cooked pork butts at 210 for 10 hours, 225 for 10 hours, and at 250-260 for 8 hours. I have cooked Turkeys, whole chickens and pork loins at 275 for 4 - 10 hour sessions. Also cooked some beef roasts at 325 for 4 hours. If I am cooking low and slow, say 225, and I need for the meat to finish a little quicker, I just open the bottom vents a little and get the temperature up to cook a little quicker.

To me, cooking with charcoal is a lot more fun. It does take some effort and its a little messy getting it going, but within an hour or so, you're cooking with a very versatile and mostly effortless machine.

Good Luck on your choice!

S.C. Que

Hi Karen,

I'm never short of opinions
smile.gif
, so let me give you my 2 cents worth. I am sure electric is easier, just plug it in, add water, and let it get to temp. However, as the others have pointed out, you miss out on some flexibility and I believe you also miss out on some extra flavor. If you really want the ease of operation of an electric, check out the Char-Broil. It may cost just a little more, but I think it does have adjustable temp.

As for charcoal smokers, I also have never had meat that was too smokey. I have tasted meat that was over smoked on an offset fired with wood, but never on a charcoal smoker. I have used the Brinkman water smoker, and have now gone to the WSM, and believe me, go for the WSM! It gives you all the benifits that the other posts pointed out, and it's really not that hard to get going. If you invest 10 dollars in a charcoal chimney, the charcoal is easy to start, and then is just a question of waiting until the smoker comes to temp.

Good Luck with your decision, which ever you choose. (get the WSM!)

Doug

Karen, using the word ?electric? while referring to smoking meat reminds me of the Salsa commercial, ?NEW YORK CITY!?
biggrin.gif

Years ago I had an electric smoker and never again. Charcoal is the only way to go, oh oh, reminds me of the beer commercial, ?TASTES GREAT, LESS FILLING!?
biggrin.gif
I doubt the ?less filling? part, but it all tastes great.

Take care and enjoy your BBQ!

Karen
Elec.is out.charcoal is in but don't discount LP. gas.IF you don't have the time to keep an eye on your charcoal then you can use LP. with success. I drive a truck for a living and some time i don't have time to be able to sit and have a beer and shot the bull with friends so when that happens i will get out the old gas bottle and go that route.what you do is first get you a small pan and put you in some charcoal and get it going and then add you a few small pieces of wood.and you give your meat a flavoring of smoke. and when you get to the point of having it smoked enough you take out the charcoal and wood and start the LP. going and then you are free to go do what you have to do as far as work.and if everything is set right when you get home you will have supper ready.but use charcoal if you can. but don't forget there are other ways to get a good B.B.Q.
cool.gif
JOE

Thanks for all the feedback.

I appreciate the input on gas and electric experiences, but it seems pretty clear that the versatility and temp control of the WSM outweighs the (alleged) convenience of other types.

My local hardware store has a WSM in stock - I should have it set up by the weekend.

Thanks for all the good advice.

-Karen

Karen...

I will give you the same advice I gave 4 of my neighbors......

Buy the CharBroil Electric unit if this is your first attempt!! I have been using that one for over 10 years now and it still runs for me. Now, before everybody else jumps on me, let me give you a few reasons why.......

1). Less expensive. You can pick-up an E-ECB for under $60.

2). BETTER temp control. My electric unit can go as low as 165 and as high as 250 and sit there forever without fiddling. The CharBroil DOES have a variable control. The lower temps are needed for making jerky.

3). A great way to test whether or not you really are into this smoking stuff!!

Too many people taste our great Q and think they want to do the same thing. That's great...until you find out that every time you smoke something, it is usually a 2 day event!!! The night before you must trim and rub the meat. The day of smoking, you will spend a MINIMUM of 5 hours...more likely much more time. It really is an "event" every time you want to smoke something.

This type of cooking is NOT for everyone!! My 4 neighbors are typical........since I taught them all how to smoke earlier this Spring......only 1 of them has turned on the smoker for a SECOND time!!! The moral.......spend less money until you know you like it!!

Another advantage, and this is what I did, is that you can concentrate on smoking the meat......You don't have to worry about controlling your fire. In other words.....learn the process one step at a time! Learn how to cook the meats first..THEN you can step up and buy the WSM and learn how to control the fire!

Sorry for the length..but I have had this discussion dozens of times with friends and family who ask my advice.

Good luck to you!!

Stogie

Well, Karen, I was gonna sit this one out until Stogie came along and threw a big ol' monkey wrench into this thread! Just kidding, Stogie!
wink.gif

I think he makes several good points, but in the end only you know for yourself just how interested you are in making great barbecue, and if you think your interest is strong and long-lasting, why not just buy the best and go straight for the WSM? That's what I did, never having owned a barbecue cooker, and look how it has worked out for me?
smile.gif

Whatever cooker you decide on, it's time for you to get out there and start barbecuing! Keep us informed of your progress.

Regards,
Chris

Chris.....

I was trying to push Karen's thread into the longest ever!!!! LOL Just kidding!! I did squeeze in 2 more responses though.......

Of course, I could make the argument that spending a few more dollars on a WSM isn't that bad of an idea! Even then, if you decide you don't want to fool with it, your not out a lot of money.

Just wanted to "round-out" the various opinions!

Karen.....regardless of what you do, you have entered the "Portals of Real BBQ". You must realize.....once inside...you will NEVER go back!!!!

Best of luck to ya!!

Stogie

Well, my decision was made until Stogie played devil's advocate and brought up some good points about the cost, and being able to concentrate on one facet of the process at a time.

I rethought the whole decision, and realized that with the resource provided by this website and all the experience of its participants to draw upon, the WSM was definitely the way to go.

Got everything set up, used the Minion Method to get things started - very quick and simple.

I brine-soaked 6 lb full turkey breast (honey/salt water brine). I tucked some dry rub under the skin for extra flavor, left the skin on to try to retain even more moisture. Also threw on a rack of spare ribs, using same dry rub. Spritzed with apple juice every half hour after the first 2 hours. (Used hickory chunks with this.)

I was amazed at the temp control! Turn the lower vents open or closed a 1/4 inch, and the temp raises or lowers by 15 degrees.

(Chris, your entries about the temperature variations at the lid, top grate and lower grate were tremendously helpful. I followed your lead on hanging a candy thermometer through the lid vent - it worked great, and it was one less thing to buy.)

Well, after 5-6 hours the turkey and ribs were both done, and they were delicious. I don't think I'll ever be able to merely roast a turkey in the oven again.

Since then, my brother (also a WSM owner)joined me for a barbequing marathon of chickens and ribs, using 2 different dry rubs, served with 3 varieties of sauces (red, vinegar, mustard) that we brought to a family picnic.

Thanks, everyone, for helping me make my decision - I'm thrilled with the results from the WSM. Now, I just have to find more time...

-Karen

Karen...

Great job!! So glad you made your decision and you were successful the first time out!!

I wish these forums were around 10 years ago! LOL

Anyway...glad you wrote back and keep on Qin'!!

Stogie

Karen,

Thanks for the follow-up. Glad to hear you ignored Stogie
wink.gif
and went for the WSM. Also, thanks for the feedback about the temp data I posted...didn't know if anyone ever looked at that.

Keep up posted as to your BBQ adventures,
Chris

Karen,

You go girl!

Sounds like you made the right decision for you.

Chris, I too benifited from the temp data. Made me feel confident that if I'm cooking at 240 at the top vent, rack temps ought to be real close to 225.

Doug W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back