Craig's list find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Yurine

TVWBB Member
Here's my first kettle. I really am looking for a performer, but found this for $10. It's circa 1996, 22.5". It has 3 separate vents on the bottom. They stick and don't turn too easily. I sprayed a little WD40, and it helps a little.

The bottom leg needs to be duct taped to the metal rack to keep it together. Otherwise, the little hook slides out of the hole in the non-wheeled leg. Anyone else have that problem?

In the lid, the inner layer is peeling. Does anyone recommend putting heat resistant paint on the inside?

I plan to replace the grate w/ the flip up ones.

I have a Q200 gasser, but prefer charcoal grills.

This is the photo taken by the previous owner.

hey, doesnt look too bad...
a couple things:
you sure its a 96? i just got a red 1987 (J stamp on the vent) and it has the one-touch vents, not the 3 separate ones.....just curious

not sure what you could do about the tape, wire the leg to the metal rack maybe?

id think that the inner layer that is "peeling" is just grilling build up, not actually paint.... id never recommend paint the inside of the kettle...
just my $.02.. hope it helps, looks pretty good though... and for $10...NICE

If you need that bottom triangle for the grill I have an extra one you can have. Let me know and I'll mail it to you.

so, take the thing apart(easy)and clean things up. the stuff peeling from the lid is just cooking crud. clean it off with oven cleaner and a plastic scrubber pad. soak overnight. might take several applications. wd40 the inside nuts. this will allow you to take the vents off to clean them. top one should be left alone. the wood handles can be sanded and then treated with food grade mineral oil. if the hole for the rack in the leg is large then just turn the leg 180 and drill another hole. if the tip of the rack is broken then repair it somehow or get another as was offered. the ash pan can be straightened out a bit. i take the spring holder off of the front leg and drill a small hole for a nail in the leg. now you just take the nail out and the ash pan can easily be removed instead of messing around with the spring. buff the outside off and she'll almost look like new.

Thanks everyone. I was told by the prior owner that the grill is 12 years old. I don't know too much about kettles, but I'll look for the serial #.

I'll take your suggestion and not paint inside! I'll try to get all that crud off.

Jay,

Click here for info on determining the age of your Weber smoker/grill.

Nice score. You may want to consider a new cooking grate as well. They are sold at many hardware and home depot/Lowe's type of store. Not a bad idea to replace them every couple of years if they get a lot of use.

-David

Gary McD, thanks for the offer. I tried to private message you, but I'm not sure how to do it. Thanks David L for the suggestion.

I cleaned the outside w/ a mild detergent. I purchased a new flip up grate from Home Depot for about $17. They also have charcoal grates for about $8.

I'm still trying to get the bottom vents to turn more easily. There's a lot of crud. I sprayed the rivets inside and out w/ WD40.

I removed the duct tape holding the leg w/ the bottom wire rack and instead, took a nylon strip of an old lanyard and lashed the rack and leg together. Looks better than the duct tape!

I wish this grill had the newer one touch style grates so I could retrofit an ash catcher like the OTG. But for $10, I'm happy!
I need to improve my skills w/ charcoal cooking, but this last weekend, I did cook up some whole chickens butterflied, which came out very good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay Yurine:
I'm still trying to get the bottom vents to turn more easily. There's a lot of crud. I sprayed the rivets inside and out w/ WD40.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The lower vents on the Bar-B-Kettle are not riveted, there attached with nuts and bolts. Take out the nuts and bolts, clean the surfaces of the vents and grill real well, and re-attach each vent with a same sized stainless bolt, a couple of stainless flat washers, and a stainless jam nut. Don't over tighten, and the vents will operate like new, and stay that way for as long as you keep the grill.

as to wood handles, make some out of split dowels. you could use the plastic ones but i prefer the wood ones. some folks do sell them on ebay. check the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back