Assistance on my first attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My plan is to do a Turkey breast and a Pork Butt.

My guess is that the pork should go on the top rack due to the longer cooking time.

What effect would the drippings from the Butt have on the turkey ? Or should I just blow it off and make her eat the butt and smoke the turkey another time ?

If I were to do both , my plan would be to use 3-4 hunks of oak with one hickory and one cherry....any ideas on this ?

As a novice, any advice is appreciated.

Steve in Mpls

Hey Steve;
You should put the butt on the bottom rack. Otherwise with the turkey on the bottom you have to remove the top rack completly to get at the turkey. you will lose alot of heat and therfore extend the cooking time for both butt/turkey. with the turkey on top you simply remove the whole rack when the turkey is done giving you access to your butt.
I'm no pro but I would go with a mix of oak/cherry.
Good Cookin
Dan

Steve,

I would time each cut of meat so they come off together. The butt will take around 9 hours(a guess) and not sure on the turkey because of size.

If they both come off at the same time it really doesn't matter which grill you put them on. To mop the lower meat, get a turkey baster and simply apply between the grates! That way you don't have to lift anything to mop!

As far as wood, personal choice. I use only apple and oak as I have those trees in my yard. I truly believe MOST people couldn't tell the difference between wood smokes, except Mesquite, which I refuse to use!

Let us know what happens!!

Stogie

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the butts going on the bottom.

Hey , Stogie , I'll be smokin' an Excalibur #1 as I "tend the fire"....Natural not Maduro.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Steve ______________
______________)))))~~~~~~~

Steve,
That is amazing!! I have been smoking the Excalibur #1 for about 20 years!! I do prefer the Maduro myself. It is my every day cigar. I'll bet I have tried over a hundred different brands, been smoking since 1973 and I do about 2-4 per day depending on the weather, but I always come back to my Ex!!

Looking forward to your report!

Stogie

Everything came out all right. My wife thought the turkey was fabulous. It was very moist , but to me it was still turkey...I'm not a big turkey fan.

I took the butt off after 10 hours. Internal temp was 172. I sliced most of it as it wasn't too " pullable".

The heat started disappating after 8 hours so I added some charcoal. Most of the wood was done for.

Thi say have been due to the fact that the weather was colder than expected...about 55 most of the day.

The taste was pretty good, however , a bit smokier than I would have preferred. Maybe I should have added some wood rather than charcoal.

I really didn't get much flavor out of the rub and the mustard.

At any rate, adding BBQ sauce and heating it up for sandwiches for lunch every day anf it's pretty darn tasty.

Next time I am going to try ribs and brisket. I "know" these cuts a bit better than pork butt, so I can be a little more detailed in the results.

I'll just have to remember...more wood, less charcoal.

Steve in Mpls

Steve, you can only produce smokering while
the internal temp of the meat is under 140*,
and you said you thought the butt was to smokey. Try just a couple chunks of wood
about the size of your fist.
You will find that the WSM needs to have
a lite stir in the charcoal ring and you will find that the temp will go back up.
Pork butt cook to 180* for sliced and 195-205* for pulled.
I would use foil and tent over the butt if I had poultry over it.
Jim

Jim,

Great idea on the tent. I was wondering about how to cook pork and turkey together without mixing the drippings, now I have a clue.

On the heat side, I'll try to stir next time. I added unlit charcoal with about 4 hours left. I probably should have heated it up first...so it likely was not the lack of wood, but the addition of "raw" charcoal that did it.

So many pigs , so little time.

Thanks Jim,

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back