Yellow Rice

I don't know exactly what you are looking for but I have made this and it is very good. If this is not the sort of thing you want, tell me what sort of thing you are looking for other than "yellow rice" and I will see what I can find.

YELLOW RICE

250 ml (1 cup) rice
60 ml (1/4 cup) seedless raisins
6 whole cloves
5 ml (1 teaspoon) salt
2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) turmeric
1-2 thin slices green (fresh) ginger
625 ml (2 1/2 cups) cold water
30 g (30 ml) (2 tablespoons) butter

Combine the rice, raisins, cloves, salt, turmeric, ginger and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and simmer gently until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed. Add the butter, fluff up with a fork and discard the ginger. Tip into a warm bowl and serve hot.

Generally in India Basmati rice is used to make Yellow Rice. It is a long grained fragrant rice.
The rice is cooked with Cinnamon, Cardomon, Cloves and Bay Leaves and is coloured with saffron which gives it a rich yellow colour. I think that they use 1/2 chicken stock and 1/2 water. The spices are normally tied in a muslin bag and removed after cooking. In India it is generally eaten on special occasions.

Regards

And then there's the typical Cuban yellow rice for paella, where the use of the condiment "bijol", containing corn flour, annatto, and cumin brings a signature color and flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
And then there's the typical Cuban yellow rice for paella, where the use of the condiment "bijol", containing corn flour, annatto, and cumin brings a signature color and flavor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And the Spanish (Puerto Rican) rice as well.

Thanks for the responses and your detailed recipe, Elsie. I had a dish at an Afganistan restaurant years ago sorta like that but it had cumin seeds, maybe black mustard seeds, and maybe nigella seeds.

But the yellow rice here is the Latin dish which can be found under the Vigo, Mahatma, etc. brands. I'm sure it can be made from scratch much better - I don't have a good recipe though. "Bijol," or achiote or annatto - yes, that is available here.

So, got a good recipe for Latin yellow rice?
Thanks.

Richard

Richard
Dumb question have you googled it and looked for a recipe that matches what you think is/should be in it?
I googled Latin yellow rice and got a variety of recipes.

Regards

Basic Latin yellow rice is simple to make. You can tart it up with additional seasonings if you like, depending on what you're serving it with.

Some cooks toss everything into the pot upfront; others add the achiote to some butter or oil first, then sauté the onion in the fat before adding the rice and water.

For two cups of dry rice use one small onion, minced, and a couple pinches of finely ground achiote. (Optional: some pressed or minced garlic, or granulated garlic; a pinch or two of paprika; a piece of a bay leaf; a handful of frozen peas added for the last few minutes of cooking.) Salt and pepper to taste. (Optional: some cooks use a chicken bouillion cube or two in place of some or all of the salt.)

Thanks a lot Kevin.
icon_smile.gif
I'll give it a try.

Richard

Back