Chili for 50!

This recipe is from Pit, Pot & Skillet by Red Caldwell, with permission. Pit, Pot & Skillet is now out of print, but can be purchased directly from the Author.

---------------------------------------------

This is a prime choice for large groups. The recipe can be expanded for any size group. It's a meal in a bowl; the only limitation is the size of your pots. The only things extra are the garnishes and cold beer (mandatory). Here's a good all-round recipe for up to 50 hungry folks, with seconds all around. Serve with sides of cheese, raw onion, jalapenos, and crackers.

25 lbs. meat, very lean, coarsely ground (1/2 inch at smallest)
10 onions, chopped and peeled
2-1/2 Tbs. garlic powder
1-1/2 cups dark chili powder
1/2 cup ground cumin
10 cans beef broth
One 16-oz. can tomato sauce
20 fresh jalapenos, stems removed
2-1/2 Tbs. garlic powder
2 cups light chili powder
1/2 cup ground cumin
1-1/2 Tbs. cayenne
1-1/2 Tbs. white pepper
5 Tbs. MSG (optional)
3 Tbs. salt
Two 16-oz. cans tomato sauce

Brown meat in batches. Use as many skillets as you have available burners. Drain meat and dump into your big pot. Add the next seven ingredients and water to cover Bring to a boil and cook covered for 45 minutes, adding water as needed. Add everything else and cook for 45 additional minutes, adding water as needed. Stir frequently, or your chili will stick to the bottom. (A one-by-four works well for this.) Serves 50.

-------------------------------------

Pit, Pot & Skillet also has a recipe for Chili that serves 20,000. Honest! First instruction is "1. Skin and dice nine (9) plump steers."
icon_eek.gif

icon_smile.gif
Tom,

Thanks for the recipe. Looks like I may get to use it for next years 2nd annual chili and bingo fest.

There are a couple of questions about the ingredients that maybe you can help me with.

First, there are the 10 onions. If I use the same size onions that I used last weekend, that would be about 12.5 lbs of onion. If that is about right I'm happy because I like onions.

Second, is the 10 cans beef broth. Based on the next ingredient I made the assumption that these are 16 oz cans. If I made a false assumption please advise.

Finally, if you have an address where I might order Mr. Caldwell's book, Pit, Pot & Skillet, I would be grateful for it.

Thanks again for your help.
icon_biggrin.gif

Cy,

I assume the onions are just a medium size onion, but you could always add more if need be. Onions are good
icon_smile.gif

About the cans of broth, I can only assume again. I would start out with the 16 oz'ers and add more if it looks like you need it.

Red Caldwell can be reached at the following e-mail address. (substitute the @ for the <at> )

driftin99<at>hotmail.com

I really like Pit, Pot & Skillet. Down home Texas cookin'. You will notice that there ain't no beans in his chili
icon_smile.gif

Back