The Stoker works even when it's Cooolllllddd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick S.:
As referenced in my Beef Tenderloin Post

main.php

7 degree, -30 wind chill cook </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy, that is cold. Not as cold as when I was trying to take pictures in Yellowstone at -40F, but it is still cold
icon_smile.gif

Here is the really cool part. I am sure the electronics in the unit are not rated below 0 degrees C/32F. So the fact that the box works, is luck. Of course, my camera also worked in the above situation even though it was well outside the spec.

I would put the unit close to the smoker so that it doesn't have to live in such low temps. And if you bring the unit inside after being done, be sure to wrap it in a bag and keep it there for a day or so until it gradualy equalizes its temp. Otherwise, you get condensation which may cause things like the connectors to rust and the unit malfunction when you use it while in that situation.

Yea, I hear you.

When doing a winter cook, I usually try to wrap the stoker in a towel really good & then rubber-band it tight. The thinking is that hopefully the internal electronics can provide at least some residual heat & the towel will act to insulate whatever heat it can generate.

I'm in the process of building out a breakout box so that I can extend the cables far enough so I can at least keep the stoker in the garage.

Back