Paul Kirk's Southern Barbecue Sauce

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Paul Kirk's Southern Barbecue Sauce, from Chef Paul Kirk's new "Championship Barbecue" book, pg 150

"This sauce is very close to being a Memphis-style sauce, but with my own Kansas City twist - celery seeds and a little more tomato and sugar. I love this on brisket, burgers, you name it."

2 Tbs unsalted butter
1 Tbs minced garlic
2 cups tomato ketchup, homemade or store-bought
1 cup chili sauce, homemade or store-bought
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, homemade or store-bought
2 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp Louisiana hot sauce
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a large nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic, and cook, stirring, until soft but not browned. Add the remaining ingredeints and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.

(This book is GREAT, by the way!)

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Thanks Keri, sounds great!! I do see a wild card here..."chilli sauce". What do you think is best to use.

Thanks Rick

Well, I'll probably cheat when I try the recipe and use the Heinz store-bought chili sauce that you find with the ketchup at the grocery store. HOWEVER, since you bring it up, here's the recipe that Chef Paul refers us to for the homemade version of chili sauce, should we be so inclined...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Homemade Chili Sauce

Chef Paul Kirk, "Championship Barbecue" pg 42

1 gallon peeled seeded and chopped ripe red tomatoes
1 1/2 cups seeded and diced red bell peppers
1 1/2 cups seeded and diced green bell peppers
1 cup diced onions
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup granulated cane sugar
2 Tbs fine sea salt

Place tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and garlic in large nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in the spices. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the mixture is reduced by half, about 2 hours, stirring frequently.

Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and let boil vigorously for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour the hot mixture into hot sterile canning jars, leaving 1/8 inch headspace, and seal by processing in a water bath for 15 minutes. Store in a cool dark place, or in the refrigerator once opened, where it will keep for up to a year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does that help, Rick?

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Thanks a bunch Keri. I think I might just try the store bought, and maybe , when I have the time, try to come up with a good home made one. You dont hear much about "chilli sauce" here in North Carolina , so you have been very helpful.

Thanks again,
Rick

Back