Water when it rains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al C

I leave my WSM outside on a patio that is not covered, and I have had a problem with water getting in it when it rains. Sometimes there will be as much as an inch of water in the bottom section after a heavy rain. (Yes, I do have the cover on the WSM!) I?m not sure if the cover is leaking or if water is somehow splashing up from below ? I do have all of the vents closed. Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking of buying a larger cover so that the cover will protect the unit all the way to the ground. Any suggestions?

It sounds like condensation if you are get water in while you have the cover on.
Cooking in hard rains I've had the pit collect water in the bottom section but it doesn't hurt the cook.
Jim

Al,

I have to store my WSM outside in the rain, too, and I have the same problem every once in a while. In addition to condensation, I have wondered if water seeps through the cover seam. You'll notice that the cover consists of a solid circular piece at the top with the side piece attached with a sewn seam. This seam encircles the lid several inches above the bottom edge of the lid. If water could penetrate that seam, it would hit the lid and run down inside the cooker, collecting in the bottom. I think this may be part of the problem.

Regards,
Chris

Al:

I was cleaning out my WSM after a weekend cook, and noticed for a second time that I had water in the bottom of the smoker. I have been placing aluminum foil below the charcoal grate to aid in clean-up, and when I lifted the foil full of spent ashes, approximately a cup of water (along with a little hardened fat)was in the bottom.

The grill was inside a 10' X 10' metal storage building due to rain and wind, and it's highly unlikely that water blew in the vent holes from the open front door! After I took the meat off, I did fully close the vents prior to the charcoal being completely spent. My assumption is that this resulted in condensation since my unit is fairly tight.

FYI from the WSM portion of www.weber.com :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial" size="2">Never line the bowl with aluminum foil -- it will obstruct air flow, trap grease, and may cause grease fires or flare-ups!</font> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regards,
Chris

Chris:

Not wishing to challenge authority, but I have been using this method without any problems. (Sure makes clean-up easier, which is not my favorite part.) I'm avoiding covering the vent holes, but sure have experienced a little trapped fat below the foil! Have you heard of any negative experiences in light of Weber's warning?

A respectful new student,

John

John,

No, I haven't. Just thought it was interesting that Weber specifically calls out this point on their website, and wanted to make sure folks know their position on this subject.

Regards,
Chris

The only time I have seen any water in the bottom has been after a heavy rain, and it is much more than I would expect from condensation - more than an inch deep in the center of the bowl! I agree with Chris that the water could be seeping through the seams in the cover. I may try to seal the seams with some silicon from the inside and see if it stops. I haven't tried foil in the bottom, but I haven't found that clean up of the charcoal bowl is too bad. Thanks all for the info and tips.

If you think the cover is leaking through the sewn seams, seal them with seam sealer (designed for tents) that can be found in any good camping/outdoor store. Or (quick and dirty solution) cover the WSM with a jumbo-size lawn/leaf bag and then put the nice looking cover on.

I cooked in my WSM today for the first time since December, as the rain let up for a while. Noticed that I had water sitting in the rolled lip of the lid, and wet spots on the outside of the lid where the cover was touching. So I've either got a leak(s) in my cover, or condensation occurs between the cover and the lid, or both!

Wishing I had a nice, dry place to store my WSM (but too lazy to carry it around into the garage),
Chris

I bought some of the seam sealer at a Sports Authority store yesterday and applied it to the seams (cost was $2.00). The directions say to let it dry for at least 24 hours, and I was only able to let it dry for around 12 hours before it started raining (no Q'n today! ), so I may have to reapply it. I'll let you know if it works.

I tried the seam sealer, it still leaked quite a bit - it may not have had enough time to dry, and it rained very hard. I will try to reapply it this weekend and let it dry for at least 24 hours. I have an old cover from my ECB that I threw over my WSM, so I'll see if that helps as it is supposed to rain here the rest of this week. It doesn't fit near as well or look as nice as the WSM cover , but if it keeps the water out I'll be happy. I don't want to sound like a complainer - I have been thrilled with the WSM and the results I have gotten so far. Most of the success that I've had has been due to what I have learned from this site, as I am fairly new to BBQ. Thanks to all for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back