Nobody asked, but... (meatloaf recipe)

Kevin S.

TVWBB Super Fan
This is one I've been using forever. It smokes nice in the WSM over a dry foil-lined waterpan at 350?. Use whatever type of wood you like with 1 (that's ONE) chunk of mesquite. Pair it up with blue cheese mashed potatoes and sauted green beans for an improved American diner classic.

Meatloaf

2 Tb. butter
Oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
6-8 crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tb. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tb. hot sauce (I use Tabasco brand chipotle sauce)
2 Tb. soy sauce
1 lb. ground beef (ground chuck)
1 lb. ground pork
1 lb. ground turkey
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup bread crumbs

sliced bacon (optional)
ketchup or your favorite BBQ sauce (optional)

In a skillet, melt butter together with oil over medium heat. When the butter foams, add onions, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring often, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce and soy sauce until well blended. In a large bowl, combine meats with onion mixture, egg mixture, cheese and bread crumbs. Shape into a loaf about 4 inches thick. I place the loaf on a piece of foil the same size as the loaf, then place both on the center of the grill. The foil won't trap grease, yet keeps the meat from pressing into and through the grill. If desired, arrange bacon slices on top. Smoke/roast anywhere from 250? to 350?until a thermometer inserted in the center registers about 160?. (In my experience, cooking at a lower temp takes forever and yields a drier finished product. I prefer to cook meatloaf at 350?. At 350? it should take about 1 1/2 hrs.) When nearing the end of the cook, slather on the ketchup or BBQ sauce, if desired. Let loaf rest on rack for 15-20 minutes before removing and slicing.

Your meatloaf sounds delicious, Kevin, and thanks for posting. Your blue cheese mashed potatoes sound like the perfect accompaniment too.

Rita

Back