Salad For Two

Dean Torges

R.I.P. 11/4/2016
The quality of salads on the dinner table has deteriorated for a variety of reasons. Very few of us raise gardens. Most salads are comprised of grocery store iceburg lettuce, which serves as little more than a bland vehicle for the dressing, and the dressing quality itself has declined as we depend more and more on store-bought bottles of the stuff.

Q'ers make their own cole slaw, yes, but even the best cole slaw becomes tiresome after a while. We are just coming to the tail end of the season for fresh loose leaf lettuce. Nothing better than that, especially when you can go to your own garden and pick from a row sowed of mixed varieties.

Here follows a way to fix lettuce that goes great with bbq, without fuss and costly vinegars. Probably my favorite way to eat salad. You might have to make it a few times to get it just right for your taste, but I bet you will like it the first time anyway. Mary sez it's pretty much the same dressing that her Swiss family also used on potato salad.

Bear with me. It's another of Mary's family recipes, and she got that cross look on her face when I asked her to recount the process and give a measured list of the ingredients.

Salad for Two

Three to four strips of thick deli bacon, cut up in small bits and pan fried in iron skillet until very crisp. Set aside on paper towel. Reserve two TBS of drippings and remove from heat. Mix in 3 to 4 TBS of flour, return to heat and stir almost constantly until roux browns slightly and smells a little nutty. Fill 1/3rd of drinking glass with apple cider vinegar and remainder with water, dash of salt, two TBS of sugar. Mix and stir into roux. Simmer until nicely thickened, a little thicker than gravy. Reserve a little water to make adjustments to the consistency. Taste to adjust the balance of sweet and sour.

Pour it bubbling hot over washed, dried leaf lettuce that has been chopped a little finer than for a usual salad, included with it plenty of sweet onion, stirring and folding as you pour. Run a boiled egg or two through the cheese grater over the top, and garnish with bacon pieces.

The lettuce season is short, and it's starting to turn bitter with the heat now. We are picking a 5 gal. bucket full, roots and all, and storing in the basement fridge today. Stops it from going to seed and turning bitter. Will do a fall planting when the weather cools.

Try this recipe. Will make you wanna till your front yard and sow it to sweet onions and mixed loose-leaf lettuce. Works just as well over spinach, too, if you wanna tear up the sidewalk and plant some of that.

WOW ...That does sound good Dean... I just printed it and will try it this weekend... Two question .. Do you see any problem with using the mixed leaf lettuce in the bag you buy from the grocery store??? (It may contain small amounts of other kinds of lettuce, carrots and other veggies, etc.) ... and do you think substituting "equal" for sugar well still work ??? Thanks!!! I'll let you know the outcome ...

Cheers!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Although not prepared quite the same way, I have fond memories of eating wilted lettuce growing up. We had a garden and always grew a patch of Bib lettuce for this purpose.

The way I remember its preparation didn't include onions or maing a roux from the bacon grease, nor simmering the dressing. We'd just fry up the bacon and drain it, wash and dry the lettuce, add the lettuce, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper to a LARGE bowl, then drizzle in the hot bacon grease. Add bacon, toss well, and adjust vinegar and sugar to taste. You needed the large bowl to get enough finished salad for four people who'd fight over the last little bit.

Bill, given that aspartame (Equal) doesn't stand up to extended heating well, I'd recommend adding either to the dressing at the end of the cooking time or directly to the salad to avoid breaking it down to the point it looses its sweetness.

Joe

Ooops. Posted simultaneously with Joe. One of us knows what he's talking about, and since Mary wasn't here to help me, you can figger which one.

I don't know about sugar subs, but you'll discover whether it works or not when you taste the brew for adjustments prior to pouring it on.

I guess there really aren't "seasons" any more for vegetables and other produce. We can get this stuff whenever we want to. Creates a bit of a disconnect, I do believe, as does much of modern living.

Writing the recipe out caused me to reflect that "what's in season" has almost become an archaic expression to anyone who passes a nearby grocery. Caused me to remember back to Marlowe's "Faustus" and the fact that Mephistopheles tempted the good doctor with a fruit that was "out of season." Cherries, I think, but the memory could be wrong. Interesting, though, isn't it, that something so fundamental to our lives could be so powerful then, and so totally taken for granted now?

Probably should have moved these musings to the Just Conversation forum, or avoided them altogether. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bugg, try using Splenda instead of Equal. Stands up to heat much better.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Mom used to start out with leaf lettuce, preferably red, sauté diced red onion in bacon drippings and add vinegar shortly before shutting off the heat. Pouring over the lettuce wilted it a bit and made for a tasty salad.
The only things I use iceberg lettuce for are burgers and BLTs. For tossed salads we use romaine.

Back