Is this a Weber or an imposter???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Kolodziejski

TVWBB All-Star
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this site and have a question regarding a small red charcoal grill I aquired last year. While it looks sort of like a Smokey Joe, it is slightly different in size, and in the vents appearance, and has no name or writing anywhere on it. I would like to know if any of you may have seen this anywhere and can identify it? Is it some sort of vintage old Smokey Joe, or just generic off brand? I have attached a link here that shows my mystery red grill next to my new green Smokey Joe. Any help would be appreciated!

http://www.servimg.com/images.php

Jeff

Jeff -

Welcome! I am unable to see your pictures. Can you post them in flickr or photobucket?

Thanks

Bob

Jeff -

One observation on the red one is that the leg mounts appear similar to those on two "vintage" Smokey Joes that my dad rescued from camp grounds over the years. The problem with that style leg mount seems to be that the holes the legs were inserted into were prone to rusting.

I wonder if the red one might have been made by Weber for a retailer - I saw somewhere on here that Weber made kettle grills for Sears that sold under the Sears name brand at one time.

Either way, it's a neat looking little mini-kettle.

Also, where did you find the greenie?

Pat

The green one came from Crate and Barrel. It was a limited production color obviously, so I bought the last two they had. If they had 10 left, I probably would have bought em all anyways because I cant resist!

I also found it strange to see how the handle is mounted and incorporated into the top vent as the only way to spin it around to open or close it.

so does the red one look familar to you at all? Im stumped. The previous persons post about it possibly being a very old smokey joe was interested at the least.

Jeff,

I'm pretty sure the red one is an old smoky joe. I a "1969" Weber catalog and I'm pretty sure it has a smoke joe with the handle off to the side like the one pictured - will check this evening. I'll try and get a scan of it up.

Haven't been able to scan, but I checked my 1969 Weber catalog and the smoky joe did have the offset handle just like the red one posted - functioning as both the handle and vent control. The legs in the catalog looked different though - maybe this is a 70's vintage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back