Last minute turkey stress

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
We're eating Thanksgiving dinner today with a group of neighbors, and my wife told me that the hostess was cooking the turkey, so I was to bring something else. I had a fresh brisket in the fridge, but yesterday, my wife said, "she wants you to smoke a turkey; they want lots of leftovers."

I generally don't decide to "smoke a turkey" at 5:00 the night before, so I was a bit stressed. I ran up and got a fresh turkey, rinsed it, went to get the rub and ... plenty of butt/brisket rub, but I was out of my poultry rub.

I got my spices together to make some more and ... out of a couple of ingredients. I picked out a rub recipe I had been meaning to try and had all the ingredients for and made it. Rubbed under the skin and put it in the fridge.

I spatched the bird this morning, fired up the WSM (apple chunks for smoke), and put it on. Brushed it all over with melted butter and sat down for an AM beer. Came out great.

The time I spend on my deck cooking is my time to relax. This time, with the last minute change and new rub, it was stressful.

Moral of the story: time with your smoker should be quality time. Plan ahead and make sure you have plenty of beer.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew:
Moral of the story: time with your smoker should be quality time. Plan ahead and make sure you have plenty of beer.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll drink to that!
Leprechaun-Hoisting-Green-Beer-1626609.jpg

I don't think I'd even want to try on that short a notice. Good on ya!

Hope it came out great. We all want it to be perfect but good food from a smoker is better than great food from an oven!

Back