SJS, How much charcoal to use?

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
I just picked up a SJS today at Walmart. It was the floor model that they were selling on clearance. It was in great shape but didn't come with any paperwork.

How much charcoal do you guys use for this grill? I know the book for my OTS says to use 50 briquets. Thanks.

Wayne

Wayne,

I suppose it depends what your cookin' (direct or indirect cook)? Usually anyware from 2/3 to a full Weber chimney.

Walmart and Weber eh? If ya don't mind me askin', what'd ya pay?

David,
Thanks for the reply. I didn't get a great deal but I've been looking at these for awhile and you never see them on Craigslist around here. I paid $25. They are usually $29.95. The had the OTS's for $74.

Wayne

2/3 to a full Weber Chimney?....Wow!

30 Briquettes laid flat will cover the entire Charcoal grate. And that's not even a 3rd of a chimney.......

I can't imagine a full chimney in a SJS....

i use about half a weber chimney most times. if i plan on doing a longer cook than just grilling then i'll add some briq as needed. after a few cooks you will find what works for you. not a great deal but not bad. most times a cl find of 10.00 will still need a grate which brings the cost near 20.00 . so yer good.

Back