Cost of filling 20 lb. propane tank

Jay Yurine

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone,

Have any one of you used the propane filling service at U-Haul? If so, how much did it cost you to fill up a 20 lb. tank? I know that Wal-mart has the cylinder exchange program for $14.24. If it is a few dollars cheaper @ U-haul, then it would be worth it for me to go there. I'm not going to nickel and dime it though. Both U-haul and Wal-mart are equally convenient for me.

Do you prefer to have the Cylinder swap over just getting them filled, or is there just not many places around you that just fill them?
I don't have an answer for you, just curious.
Around here, it seems that some places use a different type of valve than others, so if you do an exchange, other places may not be able to do refills for you, and it limits your options. I've never done the exchange. I just saw a coupon for $8 to fill a 20# tank around here. As luck would have it, one of mine is empty lol. Sometimes, both are empty!
icon_eek.gif

The U-haul charges $3.18 per gallon, so a 20 lb. will cost about $20. I called another propane service and it was about the same price. Where do you find the coupons in your area? The newspaper? Direct mail?

I had a 20lb tank filled a couple days ago at U-Haul. It was new and empty. Cost about $13.50. He said that the next time I fill it it will probably take a little more. I do not recall the price or amount it took to fill it.

It was $3.05gal for 4.25gals $12.96/ $13.91 w/tax

$14 here if you pay cash or $16 if you pay credit.. If you do the Rhino it is about $18 at most places.

I remember paying 6.25 a few years ago.

I had a bad experience with U-Haul. They overfilled the tank and it began to leak fumes over the course of a few days. Luckily, they never came in contact with a spark or flame. I took the tank to a propane supplier and he had to bleed several pounds outta the tank. He said he had no idea how the tank or valve had not exploded yet and it was a ticking bomb. I don't use them anymore. I simply go to one of the many propane suppliers who know what they are doing. I've heard that many of the exchange programs underfill the tanks for saftey reasons but still charge you for a full tank.

Originally posted by rich langer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich Stone:
$12 at my local hardware store (part of the Do it Best chain).
for refill or exchange?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

$12 for a refill. They do not have an exchange program like some of the larger hardware stores.

Originally posted by Rob A.:
I've heard that many of the exchange programs underfill the tanks for saftey reasons but still charge you for a full tank.

This seems to be true, I just bought a used grill with a "Blue Rhino" tank, while looking at the label, I see that it is a 20# tank but only contains 17# of propane.

Even 17lbs should be too much! The tanks have an "OPD" valve in them to prevent over filling them. They shoud only be 80% full. (20 X 0.8 = 16) They should only have about 16lbs of propane in them. The "OPD" is mandated but the fill amount is not... Could be one of the reasons we no longer offer tanks with our grills.

I pay $14.00 for refills. I go there because they leave "loaner" tanks. If you run out of propane after hours, just take one of theirs that they leave out. It has enough gas for you to finish your cook. Just bring it back. I have 2 tanks so I never need a loaner. I just like the concept.

I neglected to mention that the incident I had with U-Haul was before the OPD valves were mandated. Still, I wouldn't go back to em. My propane guy usually only fills my tank to 15# and stops there.

I forgot to mention, even tanks with OPD valves in them can be over filled. The opd valve looks like the float in the back of a toilet and works in the same way. You can tell if they have been over filled with a bathroom scale. Not an ounce more than 38lbs when full. Other way to tell is if the regulator on your grill gets a layer of frost on it. If you catch the layer of frost, the regulator is allready toast. Call for a replacement, take the tank back and have them purge it.

Have a good one!

Back