Food Dehydrator Recommendations?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
Does anyone know of a good and inexpensive food dehydrator? I don't care if it takes a long time to work because air drying takes forever anyways. Are they really noisy? I'm looking for something less than $100.00.

We have had an American Harvest Snackmaster dehydrator for years, and it works very well. It is different from the current Snackmaster models (which have the fan and heater on top) - it's more of a smaller version of this one. It has variable temperature, and the fan and heater are in the base. It is not really that noisy, although I wouldn't try to watch TV in the same room when it's running. The noise is just fan noise.

I have seen several "As Seen On TV" models, which have no fan at all. Personally I wouldn't spend a dime on any of those.

The sausage maker sells some top of the line equipment however that stuff is out of most of our price ranges. However this unit looks pretty cool.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
The sausage maker sells some top of the line equipment however that stuff is out of most of our price ranges. However this unit looks pretty cool.
J,

At the SM, there's a damaged equipment and close out area at the back/right of the spice room .. There's a door that opens into a warehouse and there are tables of scratch/dent items, many of them dehydrators,discontinued books, knives, meat slicers, etc. for up to half off. Just in case you didn't know
icon_wink.gif

Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread...

Bill

J,

At the SM, there's a damaged equipment and close out area at the back/right of the spice room .. There's a door that opens into a warehouse and there are tables of scratch/dent items, many of them dehydrators,discontinued books, knives, meat slicers, etc. for up to half off. Just in case you didn't know Wink

Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread...

Bill

gah! I was just there today. although sm's showroom is currently closed for renovations so I'm not sure that I could have taken advantage of this opportunity.

back to the thread...I was just sitting here reading internet stuff on my laptop thinking about this thread and dehydrators...and fans...and heat...bingo...why this here laptop blows hot air! I think I might rig her up to make me some jerky.
icon_biggrin.gif

If you want to go inexpensive, you may want to look into making one yourself.

I'll bet there are some decent plans & ideas available on-line. If you have basic wood / metalworking skills - I'm sure that it's not "rocket science".

When I was a kid, I made one by taking a cardboard box, lining it with foil, and placing a cheap porcelain socket & 60-watt light bulb in the bottom. I placed it so that the box opened like a cabinet. Wire poked through the sides of the box made shelves, that I could set trays across, and added a clasp to close the flaps. It actually worked fairly well and cost about 6 bucks.

An improved version could be made out of almost any metal cabinet. I would add a muffin-fan (like the ones used in a computer enclosure) at the top to blow-out the moist air and vents placed near the bottom. You could vary the heat by screwing-in light bulbs of different wattage. It would take a little "trial-and-error", but would still be relatively easy.

An improved version could be made out of almost any metal cabinet. I would add a muffin-fan (like the ones used in a computer enclosure) at the top to blow-out the moist air and vents placed near the bottom. You could vary the heat by screwing-in light bulbs of different wattage. It would take a little "trial-and-error", but would still be relatively easy.

the bulb could be plugged into a PID controller, which are about 40 bucks, and you have a thermostat.

I'd also suggest using an infrared bulb(like for reptiles) as some foods are light sensitive.

We have a three season porch that faces south and gets sun all day. I was thinking about using clear plexiglass to make a box with a few small holes drilled in the top for venting.It would be kind of like a solar dehydrator.

We have a three season porch that faces south and gets sun all day. I was thinking about using clear plexiglass to make a box with a few small holes drilled in the top for venting.It would be kind of like a solar dehydrator.

hmmm, I've seen solar powered fans that are intended to vent your car on a sunny day. I'm thinking you could install one of those at the top with vents on the bottom and you got yourself sun dried tomatoes at home!

I also have used the same American Harvest Snackmaster that Larry mentions above for years. It works well, but unfortunately is not made any more. Newer models may be different.

Alton Brown says that almost all food driers like the trusty old Snackmaster use too much heat. He shows how to make a
homemade food dehydrator that he has used in various shows for drying herbs, fruit and meat. I have been meaning to try this method but haven't done so yet.

I have an Excalibur with 4 trays. I got it from QVC years ago. It is a nice unit with plenty of clearance, rear fan and adjustable thermostat. They make much larger models as well.

Dan

Back