Beef Larichiladas

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
Inspired by my friend and BBQ mentor, Larry, I made some leftover pulled beef enchiladas last night with baked cheese on the outside. They really came out great! I shall call them Larichiladas
icon_biggrin.gif

Beef Larichiladas with Oxacan Rice and Black Beans

Fry 1/2C diced onion, 1/2 red bell pepper small diced and 2 - 4 cloves finely diced garlic in 1 T oil almost brown. Add 4 - 6C chopped pulled beef, fry till it loosenes up, remove from heat. Stir in any other spices you want at this point (I put cilantro leaves in this time and a small bit of cumin but the beef was already well seasoned). Fill 10 large flour tortillas. Arrange in pan, cover with enchilada sauce, bake 30 mins @ 350F. Add cheese, broil brown.

Coconut Rice Pudding with Mango Ice Cream for desert:

FINALLY! I'm famous!!! Shawn I'm flattered to have your dish named after me! However, I must say.........your Larichiladas looked better than mine!!! Great job!

thxs all

just goofin around with Larry ... I learned to make them from a recipe book and that recipe uses chicken with cheese on the inside but I saw his post where he made them with pulled beef and baked topped with cheese and that was a great idea, I like the beef filling better and who doesn't like baked cheese?

The mango ice cream came from the store, it's quite good and I've also had mango sorbet from the store that was good as well. I've got a frozen mango custard recipe I'll try for this if I ever get that ice cream maker attachment for the Kitchen Aid.

The sauce was a mix of about 1/3 home made enchilada sauce made with new mexico reds and guajillos and 2/3 Pace picante sauce ... I'd use the ench sauce straight it's got great flavor, but I'm the only one here who can take the heat ... even diluted as mentioned they found it awful hot ... wimps :lol:

Here's the ench sauce:

New Mexico Red Enchilada Sauce

1/4C course ground New Mexico red chile
1/4C fine ground New Mexico red chile
1t gran garlic
1/2C water
1/4C vegetable oil
1/4C flour
2.5C water

Mix chile powders, garlic and salt to taste with first water amount into a paste, set aside
Get veg oil hot (but not smoking) in a 2 qt saucepan, remove from heat
Add flour, blend until smooth
Add chile paste, whisk until thick and smooth
Stir in second water amount
Return to heat, simmer 30 minutes stirring frequently
Once it's cool it put it into portion size containers, freeze then food saver, I only use about 1/2C of this stuff for a lasagna pan of enchiladas
When I go to use it if I want it a little runnier I thin it with broth

Here's the Oxacan rice:

1/2C small diced carrot
1/2C diced onion
1 seeded small diced poblano or 4 oz canned chopped green chiles drained (I used a rehydrated ancho this time)
1 seeded fine diced jalapeno or serrano
2 cloves fine diced garlic
1T cooking oil
1C long grin white rice
2C broth
1C chopped green beans
15oz black beans

In a large skillet or dutch oven fry first 5 ingrediants in oil till light brown
Add uncooked rice, lightly brown
Add broth, stir cover and simmer till rice is almost tender (may need to Add more water, check after 15 minutes, taste the rice and check the water level)
Add the green beans and cook about 5 minutes more
When the rice is tender remove from heat, optionall dump from the pan ... stir in black beans and give them a minute to heat through

Back