New Year's Eve ribs

Jim H.

TVWBB All-Star
Had a craving for some ribs and yesterday's weather was fairly cooperative for the last day of the year. Tried a new glaze on one slab & my usual modified No.5 sauce on the other two.

Rubbed & ready for the WSM.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Tried some Ray Lampe rub, and it was pretty good. Also took a trimmed piece or two for snacking, as I couldn't wait for the ribs to be done.
1231111124a.jpg

Smoked them over a full ring of K Blue, with some apple wood & cherry wood chunks mixed in.
downsized_1231111419.jpg

After a couple of hours on the smoker, looking good already.
downsized_1231111552.jpg

Steady as she goes!
downsized_1231111423.jpg

I know there are possibly better ways to maintain temps in the smoker and some sort of stoker/guru would make WSM's require less attention during cooks, but there is something I really like about being able to control the temp with only vent adjustments, learning how my WSM cooks in different weather (yesterday was low 50's & windy), and learning what adjustments to make to maintain a reasonable temperature range. Knowing how my WSM cooks in any weather condition is great for having confidence that I can cook in just about any weather.

BTW - this $9 Taylor candy thermometer is dead on accurate in boiling water, showing within a degree or two of my Thermoworks RT600 under the same circumstances, so I trust it. I have checked grate temps against this thermometer and I know the difference in the temps well enough to know where this thermometer needs to be to have a certain grate temp.

Here are two slabs resting, each with different sauces on them.
1231111905d.jpg

I sliced them to see how they looked. I'd say they look pretty good.
icon_biggrin.gif

1231111918a.jpg

Was going to show them plated with some beans I had on the bottom rack for the last couple of hours, but we started eating before I could get a plate together.

Thanks for looking!

I'd say you nailed that cook Jim. The ribs look just like I prefer. Tender but not falling off the bone.

Back