Urgent question about smoker on a wood deck!

Mike_V

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone! I'm going to be firing up my Weber bullet (18.5") for the third time here in about an hour and a half. This will be the first time I've smoked something overnight (have my maverick ET73 and some pork butt ready to go). The problem is, prior to today I've only ever used the smoker on sidewalk leading up to my front door but I really don't feel comfortable leaving the smoker and the thermometer out front overnight while I'm asleep. I have a large back deck but don't want to scorch it. In my garage I have some large sheets of plywood, probably 1/2" thick or so. Could I put the smoker on that, on my deck? Will the plywood catch on fire? If anyone can tell me from experience that'd be great. I spent all day searching for a place to buy a sheet of aluminum or steel but no place I went had any, so I'm hoping the plywood will suffice or I'll be forced to leave the smoker out front all night!

Thanks in advance!

Nevermind! Wife is out and about and I am having her pick up 6 18" Pavers to use on the deck. I think that will work a lot better than Plywood. I guess I should have searched the forum first
icon_wink.gif

Mike, your pavers will work great.
I was lucky to pick up these stainless "covers" from a manufacturing company I work at... they were the wrong size and they were going to be tossed out... so I snatched them up before they made it to the dumpster. Best thing is, they're portable.

Mike if im not to late save the money on the pavers and buy more meat. I have never put anything under my WSM's and have never had a problem. One of mine does not have the heat shield and I have put my hand underneith(sp?) and the heat is not enough to scortch. If your really worried just use the plywood. Have a good cook.

Go to Walmart's Auto section and buy a metal oil drip tray for $9.95--24" x 48" inches. Room for two OTS's.

guy

Well I did buy the pavers (a little more expensive than I thought and they are super heavy). I figure worst case is I can use them in my yard later if I decide I no longer want/need them for the deck
icon_smile.gif
They're working good right now. Our deck is almost brand new so my wife and I were very concerned with leaving marks on it (and of course with burning the whole house down)!

I'll check walmart for a drip pan tomorrow also for future use - the pavers will be a huge pain to stack/move around/etc.

Back