Wireless Thermometer Bedlam

TimW

TVWBB Member
Do the wireless thermometers like the Maverick ET-73 or ET-735 have a dial in frequency adjustmnet?

I can just imagine showing up at a comp where everyone has one .... who knows what temp you are actually reading. It could be the HH brisket guy next to you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TimW:
Do the wireless thermometers like the Maverick ET-73 or ET-735 have a dial in frequency adjustmnet?

I can just imagine showing up at a comp where everyone has one .... who knows what temp you are actually reading. It could be the HH brisket guy next to you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim, the sending unit and the receiver hook up, link, electronically to each other and no one else. Hense your temps are your alone and you can't see anyone elses. Good question , tho.

Mark

My co-cook and I did a comp this last weekend and he brought along his wireless Maverick. Biggest hunk of junk I've ever seen. It kept telling me that a brisket internal temp was just shy of 300 degrees.

I set the cooker max temperature alarm for about 50 degrees above where the cooker actually was and clipped it to the top grate near the center. Every time my controller fan came on even the tiniest bit, the overtemp alarm would go off.

I finally turned it off and disconnected it. Never use one of those ever again.

Russ

Russ, always good to have a back up or 2. I wonder if the maverick in question was test calibrated or if the probes were damaged? I have used my 73 for over a year and only once recently had a problem that resolved the following day. That unit you were using may have been hay wire but on the whole I think the product is good. YMMV.

Mark

Back