Problem with Access Door

G

Good morning,

The Access Door on my WSM does not fit the shape of the Q. Because of this, too much air gets into the chamber and the temperature climbs on me. What do you suggest. I was thinking of looking for a heat resistent insulating strip (like what you put around your front door in the winter, only able to take the heat) from an oven supply store. Does anybody have a better idea?

Thanks,
Michael

The sides of my door fit ok, but the top is a bit out of whack. However, the space isn't that big and I've found that it doesn't bother the fire, at least not too much, so I live with it. One day I'll bend it to fit tighter. My thinking until now is that if I start bending it I'll make matters worse.

Hey Michael,

Try bending the access door ever so slightly and you will get a nice snug fit. Reference the “parts trouble shooting” link Doug D provided if you haven’t already.

Ya, I accidentally stepped on my access door while it was laying on the ground behind me. Took a step back forgetting I set it down there and whala, flat door.

It's pretty easy to bend back into form and get a tight fit again.

I waited until I had a good fire going and had just put wood on. It's easier to see where it needs bending when smoke is billowing out of it :) Or wait until dark and have a good red fire going, you'll be able to see where it needs bending.

Todd

Back