Stoker - High heat problems

Chuck R

TVWBB Fan
Had my first cook with the Stoker hooked up to the WSM and using StokerLog. I normally assemble the WSM right after I put the lit on (MM) and adjust the lower vents as needed so I don’t end up with a real high temp that needs to be brought down. This time, I trimmed the spares as the lit heated the lump without assembling the mid section. When I assembled everything, set up the grill probe , turned everything on and entered my settings, the grill temp was up to 350º. Within a half hour, it was down to 285º. It fluctuated between 282º and 291º. The fan never came on. I double and triple checked that the lower vents were closed and the proper fitting of the mid section and top. I checked the fan to WSM adapter and saw no obvious gaps. After two hours, the grill temp still had not fallen so I figured there had to be excess oxygen flowing in from somewhere. I formed a gasket from wet paper towel and stuffed it around the edge where the fan adaptor rested on the WSM. Within a half hour, the grill temp dropped 14º. The temp settled off around 268º so I figured oxygen was still getting in. I didn’t use a meat probe and the grill probe sleeve was to big to fit through the probe grommets, so I formed plugs with a wet paper towel and plugged the two probe grommet holes. The temp. dropped 25º, to 243º within a half hour.

So, has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone see any problem with forming a thin gasket for the fan adapter and plugs for the probe grommet holes out of high heat silicone?

The spares did turn out great, done in four hours, were moist, not burned (I didn’t use a rub with sugar in it) and just the right amount of smoke. They were falling off the bone, but not mushy.

I also had a blast watching StokerLog do its tricks. That was a lot more interesting than the Raider's game!

If you're going for the indirect heat, you should always start slow and allow the stoker to bring up the temp. Light the charcoal from the top. I don't use the WSM but I can tell you that air leaking in is a problem, but allowing the fire to get to hot is probably the main culprit here. It doesn't take a lot of O2 to maintain a fire. Some other WSM owners can tell you how best to seal off the unit.

Ken,

I have always started slow in the past but I must had had a touch of cranial rectumitis this time. I did use the Minion Method to start.

Chuck,

Just out of curiosity, did you have the stoker fan installed correctly? The "hump" of the fan should be up. If it is installed the opposite way, the draft door is open at all times and allowing air to enter the cooker whether the fan is on or off. If you look at the fan from the front "where the air blows out of", you can see what I am talking about. Not only will it allow the temp to fluctuate constantly, it may burn the squirrel cage of the plastic fan.

Kevin,

Yes, I installed it with the “hump” and the wire on top, with the hole in the bell at the bottom. John showed me this and explained about the draft door when I picked it up.

OK, this is kind of on/off topic: If memory serves me correctly last time (it's been a while) I used my Stoker on my WSM for a target temp of 325 grate I had to open the bottom vents in addition to the Stoker blowing to maintain that temp. Any one else experience this with the 5 CFM blower? Any tips or tricks I should know about? I'll be using it for one of my birds this Thanksgiving.

Chuck,
Couple of suggestions. First, if you are trying to maintain 250 or lower, close the top vent down to 25%-50% open. You want to let the Stoker create the draft for you, not natural draft because the top vent is 100% open. On 300+ cooks, you need to leave the top vent open 100%.

Second suggestion since you said you were using lump, I use a propane torch and just point it at the charcoal bowl and get a couple pieces of lump lit closest to where you have your fan mounted. Once they are lit, I turn the Stoker on and let the fan take over. I leave the top vent open until I get to about 190-200, then close it down to 50%, and when it gets to 225, close it down to 25%. For high heat, I do about a 1/2 chimney of lit lump on top of bowl of unlit.

You didn't mention it, but no water in the water pan is needed with the Stoker.

Hope this helps.

Todd

Larry,
I wound up opening a second bottom vent today for my turkey cook, but was still having a problem getting to 325. Problem was really the 25F outside temp. Once I decided to break out the silver bullet jacket and cover the WSM up, it got to 325 and maintained without a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
OK, this is kind of on/off topic: If memory serves me correctly last time (it's been a while) I used my Stoker on my WSM for a target temp of 325 grate I had to open the bottom vents in addition to the Stoker blowing to maintain that temp. Any one else experience this with the 5 CFM blower? Any tips or tricks I should know about? I'll be using it for one of my birds this Thanksgiving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Any one else experience this with the 5 CFM blower? Any tips or tricks I should know about? I'll be using it for one of my birds this Thanksgiving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had to do that during my practice cook. It was mid 20's and windy. Under optimal weather conditions, I don't have trouble maintaining those temps.

I did a Prime Rib this weekend, programming the grill temp. at 420 º, then, after putting the meat on, ramping it down to 350 º and maintained it there. I started with two chimneys of lit lump and assembled the WSM immediately after dumping the lit in the ring. In 45 minutes, with just the fan blowing and the other lower vents closed, I hit 420 º, put the meat on and programmed the Stoker down to 350 º. Within 15 minutes, the grill was down to 350 º where it stayed +- for the rest of the cook. The 6.17 lb roast was done in 2 hours, 24 minutes.

My original problem was temps. that were too hot. Although I was looking for hot temps for this cook, I formed a gasket on the “bell” with 400 º silicon and it formed a great seal and didn’t melt or burn. I’ll be cooking a brisket this weekend so I’ll see if I can maintain a low temp without any air leaking in.

Chuck, I have a couple of questions for you as your results on maintaining higher temps are different than what I have experienced . . . although I've only done two "high heat" cooks with Stoker on my WSM, I usually use my Kamado for the high heat cooks and she'll have a bird on her also.

1) Which blower do you have (I have the 5 CFM)?
2) What kind of lump were you using? My fear in using RO Lump is that I'll run out of fuel before the turkey is done and will have to add mid cook (which I don't want to do) doing a 22 lb bird figuring it will probably take about 4 - 4 1/2 hours.
3) Weber chimney?
4) How much fuel was left over at the end of 2:24?
5) What were your top and bottom vent positions.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to use my Stoker on one of my Turkeys this weekend or just run her manually. If I have to screw with vents anyway I think I'll just go manual.

Thanks in advance!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd D.:
Larry,
I wound up opening a second bottom vent today for my turkey cook, but was still having a problem getting to 325. Problem was really the 25F outside temp. Once I decided to break out the silver bullet jacket and cover the WSM up, it got to 325 and maintained without a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
OK, this is kind of on/off topic: If memory serves me correctly last time (it's been a while) I used my Stoker on my WSM for a target temp of 325 grate I had to open the bottom vents in addition to the Stoker blowing to maintain that temp. Any one else experience this with the 5 CFM blower? Any tips or tricks I should know about? I'll be using it for one of my birds this Thanksgiving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried to use the Stoker with my WSM today with a target temperature of 325 degrees. Even with BOTH bottom vents open and the Stoker 5 CFM going full blast, I had to abort the smoke and put the turkey in the oven. The Smoker just couldn't get above 280 degrees.

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed. I was using a BBQ Guru w/10CFM before this, and it seemed to have no problem reaching those temps.

Let me add that I think if I had started the WSM/Stoker 90 minutes earlier, the Stoker could have kept the temperature I needed - I just ran out of time.

I guess there's a big difference between 5 CFM and 10 CFM.

Larry,

1) Mine is the 5cfm blower
2) I used one Weber Chimney of lit leftover Whole Foods 365 (Cowboy) and one chimney of Lazzari Hardwood lump (Barbecue Galore brand is Lazzari) .
3) Two Weber Chimneys, lit on my Genesis gasser.
4) Probably half a ring. Tomorrow I’ll go out and dump the leftovers in a chimney and let you know. I found Cowboy to burn pretty fast, while Lazzari seems to last longer.
5) Bottom vent with the Stoker to WSM adapter was full open as per the instructions, the other two lower vents were closed. Top vent was left open 100%.

Back