Reheating pork butt

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

How does one reheat left over pork butt without turning it to mush or losing the smoke flavor?

One of the better methods I've heard of is to
store in zip lock bags and to drop those bags in boiling water for reheating.
Chicken broth for a little more moisture
after heating works well also.
Jim

I've never tried the boiling technique, but it should work fine.

My leftover pork butt is usually frozen in Ziploc or Foodsaver bags. I vent the bag and microwave for 2 minutes at 20% power, stir the meat around, and repeat until hot. I think the trick is to heat slowly. I'm always impressed with how well it holds up. I don't notice any loss of smoke flavor.

I've also used a little apple juice, just like when basting during cooking, if I need a little added moisture.

I had the opportunity to try Chris's suggestion on some ziplock bags of pulled pork I had put away for a rainy day. I'm now singing in the rain! Followed the suggestion, then tossed with a mustard/vinegar sauce (found on Ray Basso's BBQ FAQ site). Tasted just the same as when I pulled after half a day in R2D2. Only difference was that it was after a work day, not a qu'en day. But it sure improved an otherwise ordinary Wednesday. Went well with a German wheat beer. (As we say in Oz - 2 sorts of beer: good beers and better beers!)
The festive season here in Oz is mighty good bbq & grilling weather. My summer vacation starts soon - looking forward to putting many of the forum's recipes and tips to the test!

wouldn't be dead for quids! (as we say)

good qu'en on yers

Jock

I have tried both the microwave method and the boiling water method (both in FoodSaver bags), and I prefer the microwave, nuking at low power and stirring as I go. I think the bag-in-boiling-water method changes the taste a little, possibly due to the meat being steamed inside the bag a bit. It just tastes more like freshly cooked pork after nuking, to me.

Hi,

I usally add it to some stir-fried peppers/onions for a minute or so,add some bbq sauce & make a sandwich.(or as jock might say,a sanger!
wink.gif

g'day

G'day Theo - you talk Strine?
A sandwich IS a sanger in Strine, although we usually only call it a sanger or sandwich if using bread slices, but not a bun. Dunno why not? We're a weird mob, in a lot of ways.
But call it what you want, your bbq sanger sounds bloody good (pardon my French). I'll give thyat combo a try.

Hooroo
Jock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back