Newbie - Just got my WSM 18", but a problem

Gary Zath

Ordered through Lowes and it came in a week early
icon_smile.gif

As I was setting it up I noticed that one of the grates was not plated ... okay, that must be the lower charcoal grate. Problem was, it's 18" in diameter and does not fit
icon_eek.gif

Thinking "I just don't get it" I try all different types of configurations to no avail. Okay, I'm an Architect, I can frigur dis out. Nope ... notta. It's clearly an error on Weber's part.

So, I bite the bullet (not the Weber!), grab a beer and pull up the customer service phone number dreading the call ... too many Dish Network cust service calls to "Joe" who is clearly Sandeep from the Punjab region of India.

Anyway, 5 minute hold produces Jessica. I explain my problem, she apologizes and tells me that a 15" charcoal grate is going to be FedExed to me, 2 day service.
icon_biggrin.gif

Weber, you just recruited a lifelong promoter ... and I haven't even done my first smoke! Yes, they screwed up, but rectified it with NO hassle.

FYI, I have a 6# brisket screaming to be my first smoke. Regardless of receiving the replacement, I'll find a way to get a temporary char grate worked out.

FYI2, Jessica mentioned if I knew about this site (which I have been studying since I ordered my smoker 2 weeks ago) so, even Weber's got your back here.

hey, gary same thing happened to me today, got my new 2009 18 " WSM from amazon opened it up and the grate didnt fit boy was i p--sed ,, i was so excited too,,,, i had food ready to go tomorrow.. i had few days left on my 1 week vacation before i went back to work----- to do some smokes .... called customer service--the rep was nice but also thought i was stupid she made me measure the grate ( which i told her yes its the gray one NOT the stainless steel one) which was alittle wider than 18"1/2 inches... she sais there was 3 in stock on computer but she couldnt send it to me...im have know idea what that meant.?????.. i always thought if it was in stock that means they have them...apparently not i have to wait atleast 1 to 1 1/2 weeks possibly will get it sooner if they come in by overnight shipping....oh well i said it is what it is and thanked her boy am i upset -----it ruined the last 1/2 of my stay home vacation ......

This happened to me also over the Labor Day weekend. On Sunday I went to put my new WSM together and the charcoal grate is 18 1/4 inches in diameter.
icon_frown.gif
That grate isn't working in my 18.5inch WSM.

Weber was super nice on the phone. They said the charcoal grates are on backorder until the 15 of September. Hopefully they come through for me and have the correct 15 inch charcoal grate to me by the end of next week.

Same prob here. I thought I was a dummy and just had the grates in wrong spots. Does anyone know if I can get a 15in at lowes or the depot so I can break her in this weekend? Weber told be 2 weeks on the right grate.

I have her all assembled sitting in my living room. I am jones'n to use it this weekend.

That sucks! I got mine the 3rd week of August with no problems at all.
In fact, inside the box, neatly packed in ice, was a 6 pack of Miller High Life.
icon_smile.gif

talk about living the High Life....

Seriously guys, sorry to hear about the snafu, but you'll be smokin' in no time and lovin' it!

As someone told me, "Welcome to the Addition"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Everett:
Same prob here. I thought I was a dummy and just had the grates in wrong spots. Does anyone know if I can get a 15in at lowes or the depot so I can break her in this weekend? Weber told be 2 weeks on the right grate.

I have her all assembled sitting in my living room. I am jones'n to use it this weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've looked here at the local Lowes and ACE but no luck. Only thing I found was on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hopefully we'll both have it by next weekend!

Just got home from Academy. They had a generic 16 inch that actually measures 15 1/4-1/2.

It doesnt sit perfect (a little big) but will work fine until I get the weber one. Only problem I see is that it is a grilling grate and had bigger space between bars than I would like but I have a circle of expanded metal from the brinkman I can toss on there.

Wish me luck. About to break my WSM's cherry.

I received my 18" WSM last Thur- also found charcoal grate was too large- The new grate arrived on Sat afternoon- Weber sent it Saturday priority

Nice surprise! ready to do my 1st smoke session yesterday morning!

Back