sous vide pork chops

TroyRedington

TVWBB All-Star
did my first meat with my new sous vide controller. after a couple hours at 142 if tossed them on the grill to get some sear.

i overcooked it a bit, but it still came out great.

407517_10150639359452559_688852558_11325896_364242682_n.jpg

Looks great.

IMO 142* seems a tad high. You are still going to push some heat into the center during the sear, so I'm finding I need to go a bit lower on my sv temp to make sure I don't over cook.

For those curious about the finish, can find similar results with the reverse sear method. All sv is, is a fancy rs. I like doing it rs with sv because its easier to time the finish and you can build a good searing fire and not have to worry about too hot during the initial cook. Then again, I don't really do it much for thin cuts like chops and steaks. I find an 1+ hour rest on the counter prior to cooking gives me nice results.

sorry to ramble

What sort of sous vide vessel are you guys using? I've been thinking about giving this a try, but am a little afraid of the money you can sink into a sous vide machine/vessel.

Troy - you mentioned a controller, is this a home built controller? If so, how did that go?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
Looks great.

IMO 142* seems a tad high. You are still going to push some heat into the center during the sear, so I'm finding I need to go a bit lower on my sv temp to make sure I don't over cook.

For those curious about the finish, can find similar results with the reverse sear method. All sv is, is a fancy rs. I like doing it rs with sv because its easier to time the finish and you can build a good searing fire and not have to worry about too hot during the initial cook. Then again, I don't really do it much for thin cuts like chops and steaks. I find an 1+ hour rest on the counter prior to cooking gives me nice results.

sorry to ramble </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah next time i'm going to settle them at 137.

i'm very new to it and i'm kinda confused by the pasteurization tables. if i hold them at 136 for 3+ hours, they're apparently pasteurized.
Does that mean i can sear the outside quick without getting the inside up to 145 and still not die?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Backlund:
What sort of sous vide vessel are you guys using? I've been thinking about giving this a try, but am a little afraid of the money you can sink into a sous vide machine/vessel.

Troy - you mentioned a controller, is this a home built controller? If so, how did that go? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm using the auberins sous vide controller and an old 10 cup rice cooker.
http://www.auberins.com/index...._info&products_id=44

Troy, regarding safety, Kevin is the man, but he avoids the photo section. I shot him a email. If he doesn't post soon I'll take a stab

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i'm very new to it and i'm kinda confused by the pasteurization tables. if i hold them at 136 for 3+ hours, they're apparently pasteurized.Does that mean i can sear the outside quick without getting the inside up to 145 and still not die? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Actually, less time is required. At 130? you're looking at just under 2 hours. At 135?, right at 36 minutes. In either case you need to add time for the meat to get up to those temps - and this depends on thickness.

Back