Adding a Tel-True to a One Touch Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Balzotti

TVWBB Fan
I hope someone has done this. I have added a One Touch Silver to go with my WSM. One for Chicken (one Touch) one for BBQ.

I am thinking I would like to add a Tel-True Therm in the lid.

Has anybody done this and maybe has pics?

Thanks

I have a OTG and added a Tel-Tru to the lid. Took me about 2 minutes from start to finish. Very easy project.

a) First I centered where I wanted to mount the thermometer.

b) Then I drilled a 3/8" hole.

c) Then I used a 1/2" Greenlee metal hole punch to put the hole in.

d) Put the thermometer in the hole and secured it with an electrical nipple nut.

Looks like it was installed at the factory. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

Paul:

I'm pretty low tech so I just put a Taylor thermometer through one of the openings in the top vent. Works very well & you can move it around so you never need to worry about contact with the meat. Besides, Thermometers won't last nearly as long as that kettle so when your thermometer dies you don't need to worry about finding the same one or size to fit the hole you drilled.

I put in a 3" BBQ thermometer with a 2" stem.

Most of my kettle cooking is low & slow BBQ and the kettle works great for small amounts of BBQ. The thermometer is great and really accurate but since I put it in all I really use is a Polder (non-wireless) thermometer that I use to monitor the grill surface. Dome vs grill temps vary greatly - sometimes 100 degree difference - and the grill surface is what I care about. If I was going to do it all over again I wouldn't bother with a dome thermometer. The dome thermometer looks neet sitting there but the grill surface temps are what I care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back