Tenderloin tapas

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
When I had the pleasure of meeting Pat Barnes and his wife, Claire, a couple or three weeks ago this was the app. I'd planned to use grapes alone, as I usually do, but while we were purchasing produce Pat mentioned how good the mangos had recently been--so we got one and added chunks of mango to the recipe. It could be done without though, or other fruit could be used.

Grilled skewered pork tenderloin tapas w/grapes and mango

1 pork tenderloin, silverskin and extraneous fat removed, cut in 1-inch cubes (about the size of a grape or just slightly larger)

1 T cumin seeds, toasted and ground
2 t Aleppo pepper, toasted the last minute with the cumin
2 t ground coriander
1 t cinnamon
1 t fenugreek
several turns of the peppermill
good pinch salt
3 T orange juice--fresh squeezed or 'not from concentrate'
2 t oil

red seedless grapes
ripe mango chunks (cut them the same size as the grapes)

Blend all the spices together with the o.j. and oil and toss the pork chunks in; mix. Marinate 3 hours or longer.

Skewer the pork with red seedless grapes and ripe mango chunks. (For tapas, use just 1 or 2 chunks each of the pork and mangos and 1-2 grapes. As a more substantial first course or main use four each of everything and serve 1 or 2 skewers.)

Grill direct, turning frequently and basting once with marinade, till browned. Serve immediately.

those sound really good. what is the pepper like? I have never seen them up north, but that isn't too suprising. I have only recently been able to buy pure chili powders locally and only a couple of varieties.

Aleppo pepper is one of my top 5 favorite chilies. It has moderate heat and a full chile flavor that is quite fruity but with a pleasant sour quality, kind of like the sour one finds in lemon. I have never seen whole Aleppo peppers offered anywhere and am still trying to locate a source for them or for the seeds. It is available crushed and looks somewhat like 'crushed red pepper' but is not seedy at all and should be quite moist. Very good quality Aleppo is avaialble from Penzey's at this link and I recommend it highly for use in barbecue sauces and rubs as its fruity flavor (and bit of heat) complements meats and sauces very well and it keeps its flavor nicely when used in a rub for long-cooked meats.

Aleppo is a town in Syria where the peppers are thought to originate. They are widely grown there, in Turkey, and in many other area countries where it is used in marinades and bastes for cooked foods and used to flavor oils for dipping or drizzling, or simply used as is, to sprinkle on foods, cooked or not, just before serving to add flavor, heat and color.

Kevin,

I am surprised that there is no source to buy the seeds. After doing some searching around and reading it seems you are not the only person who really wants to get their hands on this seed. If I'm ever touring Turkey, Syria, Lebenon, or the surounding areas I'll keep my eyes open.

As a new grower of my own peppers and tomatoes this saddens me. I had looked for aleppo awhile ago after reading about it in many of your recipes, but I just gave up.

If you ever find a source keep me in mind would you? I'm guessing if there is a source out there you'll find it before me, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Josh

Josh & Kevin - Based on your recommendations I purchased a jar of aleppo pepper today at Penzeys. I've since tasted a sprinkle on my finger - very unique flavor.

I didn't think of it, but next time I'm at Penzeys world HQ I'll ask if they have any whole aleppos available. I'll certainly share the seeds if they do.

While at Penzeys, I shook-up the sampler jar looking for seeds. I might have spotted a few whole ones in the jar in case they don't have the whole peppers available.

Jim

Jim,

It is hard to say if they would germinate or not. From what I hear it all depends on how they dry their peppers. I'm no expert on that front, but I guess it would be worth a shot.

Josh

If I ever find any I'll keep you both in mind, definitely.

I contacted Penzey's and several other retailers some time ago--no whole peppers available--and no seed supplier I've reached has them. I think they are a C. frutescens variety but have been unable to hone in on that even. Very annoying.

Kevin,
In the Prok section I posted a similar recipe for Pinchos, a prok kebob from Spain. Yours looks really good! Thanks

Back