Grilled Dungeness Crabs with Kicked Up Seasoned Butter

Mark Etheridge

TVWBB Super Fan
My wife bought some Dungeness Crab from Sam's yesterday and said "Find a recipe for it." I found this one on The Food Network website and was quite pleased with the results (thank you Emeril!!).

4 cooked Dungeness crabs, 1 1/2 to 2 pounds each
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped green onions, garnish

Preheat a grill to medium heat. Clean and crack the crabs, and break cleanly in half. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and simmer until fragrant and the garlic is soft, but not starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients, except the green onions. Place the crabs on heavy aluminum foil. Bring the foil loosely up around the crabs, almost enclosing, but leaving open at the top.
Place on the grill and pour the seasoned butter over the crabs. Cook until the crabs are heated through and the edges begin to turn golden, about 15 minutes, basting with the butter several times. Remove from the grill and serve the crabs with the hot butter sauce and garnished with the green onions.

I only had 2 whole crabs but I did not cut the sauce down any. I also had no parsley, no onions, and I used Cayenne pepper instead of Red Pepper Flakes (this was sort of a rush cook). It was kinda difficult to baste the crabs while they were in the foil. Cooking them on the grill gave the crabs a nice subtle "grill"/smoke flavor.

Well they say you learn something every day. Here in the UK Dungeness is the site of a nuclear power station so I wouldn't want to eat crabs from there!

On the contrary, they should be ready when you pull them out of the water.
icon_eek.gif

And the 11 claws per crab is another bonus!

Seriously, Dungeness crab is what we grow up here in the Pacific NW and I think it's the best tasting crab,, even better that King.

Back