Need Some Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello everyone.
I have a few questions about using my WSM.
My first question has to do with the thermometer. I have the Weber thermometer which is calibrated to 550*F. This is a $9.99 version of the clip on thermometer but without the clip. I have heard people refer to using a potato at food level and running the thermometer through the potato in order to monitor the temperature at food level. Is this an accurate method for reading the temp? What size potato should I use and will this affect the reading? Also I am assuming that I would want to run the probe clearly through the potato, leaving the end exposed to the air.
My second question has to do with wood chunks. Do most of you soak your wood chunks or do you use them dry. I will probably be doing ribs and chicken and I have some apple and pecan wood chunks. About how many chunks should I use? I have read that three or four chunks will get the job done, but I need a starting reference point. Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Derek

Hi Derek,

When people talk about the potato thing, they're talking about using a Polder probe thermometer, not the kind of thermometer you have. I would not use a Weber thermometer in that way, since the dial will get coated in smoke. You can see a picture of the Polder thermometer on the Resources page or the Shopping page.

The Polder has a stainless steel probe on a 3' cable that connects to a display unit outside the cooker. You stick the probe into the meat to monitor the internal temp as you cook. You can stick the probe all the way through the potato to read the air temp at the cooking grate itself. The Polder probe only measures temp at the tip of the probe, so the tip must pass all the way through the potato. The potato is essentially just a stand for the probe and it's size doesn't matter; you can also use a large wine cork or a small block of wood with a hole drilled through.

Regarding the wood chunks, I used to soak them every time but now I usually don't. A good-sized chunk will burn slowly enough without soaking; if you've got little bitty pieces and want them to smoke a little longer, you can soak them. I do soak wood when I want to generate a lot of smoke for a short period of time, like when doing the nut recipe featured on the website this month.

I suggest you start with the equivalent of 4 fist-sized chunks of smokewood and adjust up or down from there to taste next time you cook.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try with the wood. I will go with not soaking first and then work from there. I guess I will order a clip on thermometer to read through vents as this seems pretty simple. If I can't get the results that I need then I will order a Polder. Thanks again and happy Qing!

Derek

Hi Again.......
After mulling it around, I have decided to go with the Polder thermometer. It seems like it is the most versatile and it makes sense to be able to measure the food temp at grate level. I'll probably order an extra probe. Anyway thanks for the advice!

Derek

Amazon.com has Polder thermometers for $19.99
Spend $100 in the kitchen area and get free shipping, plus $20 off (see techbargains.com for the $20 off $100 purchase coupon).

Home Depot carries a Polder clone for around $17 called Acu-rite. It looks exactly like the Polder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back