Going for it....Tel-tru

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
Well, I'm going for it. Just a few questions before I order.
Which stem length to get--4" or 2.5"
Installation kit-- Yes or No
What size unibit.
Thanks, I'll go by majority. Anything else I should know?

I recently mounted a 3" Tel-Tru in the lid opposite the vent. I got the 2 1/2" stem and it works great. With the shorter stem there are no concerns with with it touching a large piece of meat. I got the installation kit for convenience and also used the #4 Unibit. The installation went great and is very simple.

Just intalled one with 4" stem.Did not use the insatll kit. Used a bushing and nut to mount it. It only cost about 2 bucks a hd. Used a number 5 unibit(that's what had at home) used duct tape where I drilled. It only took about 10 minutes to install if that.
Mike

I'm about ready to take the plunge also. I'm going to go with the 2 1/2" stem and the installation kit. Not sure if I should go with the glow in the dark face, black face, or white face. Any recommendations for me also?

I here you Jeff. Black,White or Glow face
icon_confused.gif
. Life can be so tough.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I went with the white face. Not sure what size uni-bit I used. Did not get the install kit.
When using the step bit, drill slow to prevent porcelain chipping.
I enlarged the hole in a couple of big washers and, using a couple of sockets and a hammer, shaped them to match the arc of the dome. One on the inside, one on the outside, and used a "conduit nut" on the inside to fasten the thermo. Worked very well.

The glow in the dark feature is excellent for overnight cooks. It definitely has made it easier to read from a window. Sometimes, I will shine a flashlight on it. Somteimes, I don't need to. Mike

Back